• 1(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'm almost wondering ...
... whether Pentax follows the plan that while CaNikon are phasing out their DSLRs, they will keep it as their niche.

Could make sense. CaNikon won't battle for a sub-10% niche whereas Pentax would be a happy camper there.
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
(03-27-2020, 11:10 PM)Klaus Wrote: ... whether Pentax follows the plan that while CaNikon are phasing out their DSLRs, they will keep it as their niche.

Could make sense. CaNikon won't battle for a sub-10% niche whereas Pentax would be a happy camper there.

... This "is" Pentax's business plan!!   (or what has to constitute as one) ......

In an interview about a year ago, Pentax stated that they were expecting a "resurgence of the DSLR" ....... which they expected to take effect after two years or so ...... 
Are Canikon phasing out their DSLRs yet??....... there has been a few more DSLRs, mainly from Nikon with the D780 and Canikon pro sports bodies .... this is not of a DSLR resurgence ..... more of a prolongation to it's lifespan.
 One thing worth mentioning ....... Canikon must have a vast/large reserve of DSLR lenses on their warehouse shelves, which they won't be throwing in the dumpster any time soon, they will also want to turn those stocks into income which may pave the way for the last of the DSLRs ........  I'm sure Pentax's existence counts on much of the same!
   Canon is trying to go head to head with Sony's ML range while Nikon trots along close behind ...... thus overall the photographic focus will remain on ML.
  It's becoming clear that industry in generally is going to be hit very hard by Corovid 19 and will take several years to recover ....... this doesn't bode well for anybody and the luxury goods market which will be hit the hardest ..... 

...... Pentax is a small fish in Ricoh's large corporate lake, can they come out on the other side of it ??
Dave's clichés
Well, I guess we all agree that Ricoh Imaging isn't trying to go for the top spots in ILC market share; they are content with a small, profitable niche.
As the MILC market is very difficult to compete on - given that everyone else is there - perhaps staying with DSLRs is the right move, at least for the next decade.

The "resurgence of DSLRs" is mostly a figment of internauts' imagination; rather, Ricoh Imaging expects DSLRs to stay relevant - and yes, some people would discover they don't quite like MILCs after all.
Well if they want to stay with DSLRs they don't need to be fighting Mirrorless cameras in their strongest points:
85f1.4 and an ultra sharp 50f1.4 at f1.4 are not exactly where a DSLR would shine.
IMHO SLR autofocus isn't up to the job with such lenses.
I thought my 7D2 had a good autofocus performance with 85f1.8 till I tried EOSRP
They should emphasize on lenses like a 24-105 f4 or 24-120f4 a high quality 100-400 f4-5.6
And for APS-C it is time they update their offerings why no 18-135.?
A quitter's strategy, I'm not sure is a good advice.

And Pentax already have a very good 28-105 f/3.5-5.6, and a high quality 150-450mm f/4.5-5.6. What they lack are ultra wide D FA primes.
(03-28-2020, 08:52 AM)davidmanze Wrote: Are Canikon phasing out their DSLRs yet??....... 

They don't tell you, of course. They are happy to milk you until it doesn't generate profits anymore.
But the messages from various interviews are pretty clear I'd say.

How long did it take for Sony? Technically they still have the A99 II in store ... but ...
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
(03-28-2020, 02:49 PM)Kunzite Wrote: A quitter's strategy, I'm not sure is a good advice.

And Pentax already have a very good 28-105 f/3.5-5.6, and a high quality 150-450mm f/4.5-5.6. What they lack are ultra wide D FA primes.

They lack an ulrawide and a 24-105 or believe me 24-105f4 is way more useful than 28-105 f4-5.6 Canon has even better 28-105f3.5-4.5 who is interested in it?
An appealing standard zoom is IMHO the first thing to start with. Regardless of the optical quality of the actual zoom it's range and speed aren't appealing.
(03-28-2020, 09:49 PM)Klaus Wrote:
(03-28-2020, 08:52 AM)davidmanze Wrote: Are Canikon phasing out their DSLRs yet??....... 

They don't tell you, of course. They are happy to milk you until it doesn't generate profits anymore.
But the messages from various interviews are pretty clear I'd say.

How long did it take for Sony? Technically they still have the A99 II in store ... but ...

Ah the Sony A99 ........ Sony's cul de sac range! ...... 

It must be differentiated between "exiting stock" which resides in their warehouses awaiting orders, which produces money from previous investment....... and new production! ....... new production will be sparse ...... Nikon still has "D series lenses" on their lists ...... some are still buying the 180mm F2.8D to this day ....... surely not in production for some years. (and there's still a waiting list on the 500mm  PF)..
   Sales figures are one thing, but ownership figures are another ....... the fact that overall sales figures are declining means that it is likely that DSLR numbers will never be matched by the ML camera in the coming years ......... just by the overall market continuing to fall and giving way to the ubiquitous telephone ...... Ugh !!
 Camera manufacturers realize the free ride is over and they must realize income from wherever they can ....... I don't know much about Canon ....... but Nikon's existing stock in lenses is worth what percentage proportion of their annual revenue??
In the short term this income requires nothing but processing the sale ...... in the long term of course it's effect becomes less useful.
Lastly, at it's present level, how many years will it take to replace all the existing DSLR lenses out there? ...... never probably! ......
........ and for how much longer will the market remain even at it's present level ..?
Dave's clichés
(03-29-2020, 05:11 AM)toni-a Wrote: They lack an ulrawide and a 24-105 or believe me 24-105f4 is way more useful than 28-105 f4-5.6 Canon has even better 28-105f3.5-4.5 who is interested in it?
An appealing standard zoom is IMHO the first thing to start with. Regardless of the optical quality of the actual zoom it's range and speed aren't appealing.
Prioritizing lenses similar to what they already have doesn't make much sense.

Pentax has the 28-105 f/3.5-5.6, and the 24-70 f/2.8; they have this range reasonably covered. The f/2.8, by the way, is comparably priced with the Canon 24-105 f/4.
Wider than that, for FF, there's only the 15-30 f/2.8.

Your "even better" lens, are you reducing a lens' performance to numbers? The 28-105 f/3.5-4.5 is a film-era lens, and judging from the reviews I could find, far from being praised.
The Pentax 28-105 f/3.5-5.6 is surprisingly good for its price. I would definitely call it appealing; actually a default choice when getting the K-1, unless you'd go with the 24-70.

"Regardless of the optical quality" is a strange statement...

(03-29-2020, 10:46 AM)davidmanze Wrote:    Ah the Sony A99 ........ Sony's cul de sac range! ...... 
There's a better story: Samsung's.
That "Ditch your DSLR!" campaign, meant to clear stocks while they were closing shop... priceless! How many bought into Samsung believing DSLRs will disappear?
You can obviously see how 24-105 lenses are selling, and the demand for them ... If on planet Pentax, Pentaxians are happy without it, who am I to complain?

• 1(current)
  • Next