Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tamron 70-180f2.8 is out
It's rather compact (810g), and measures149mm in length at the 70mm, but of course it extends 

lens construction is 9 lens elements 14 groups, including 1 extra-low dispersion (XLD) element, 5 low dispersion (LD) elements, 1 glass-molded aspherical (GM) element, and 2 “hybrid” aspherical elements
filter thread is 67mm just like all Tamron holy trinity lenses 17-28 and 28-75
trading slightly on focal length to get a more compact zoom is a good idea Tamron had especially on this one where 180 or 200mm are close enough in daily practice, had I owned this one I wouldn't miss the extra 20mm reach 
That is a bit impossible, 9 elements in 14 groups... And all are "special" (1 + 5 + 1 + 2 = 9)?

You either copied it from a wrong source, or switched the 14 and the 9, or made some other typo?
19 elements in 14 groups...

https://www.tamron.jp/en/product/lenses/a056.html

Interestingly there are two minimal focus distances, one for manual focus and one for AF.

Too bad it's only for Sony, I would also be interested in such a nice and compact lens.
It is nice that Tamron has the same filter diameter for all the three lenses of the series. It makes life easier for filter users.
Indeed, very attractive lens.
Recently, a friend of mine lent me his A7R Mark II and I really didn't like the shooting experience.

Sony's most clever move was to open up their mount protocol.
This is one of the main reasons why there are so many 3rd party alternatives.
--Florent

Flickr gallery
The widening focus breathing is not quite as bad as with the Canon RF 70-200mm f2.8 L IS USM.
Quote:Interestingly there are two minimal focus distances, one for manual focus and one for AF.

Not so strange per se, also e.g. SEL70200G does that: 1-1,5 m (AF) / 1-1,35 m (MF); but while in the case of the SEL70200G the difference is minimal, for the Tamron is 2x in the mag. ratio.

Anyway... sigh... It's sad to talk about lenses while one can't use them.
stoppingdown.net

Sony a6300, Sony a6000, Sony NEX-6, Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS, Sony Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS, Sony FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS, Sigma 150-600mm Æ’/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary, Samyang 12mm Æ’/2, Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A, Meyer Gorlitz Trioplan 100mm Æ’/2.8, Samyang 8mm Æ’/3.5 fish-eye II | Zenit Helios 44-2 58mm Æ’/2 
Plus some legacy Nikkor lenses.
It's a pity it has no IS for use on IBIS-less E-mount bodies, but I guess that was the price that had to be paid for the compactness.
The Canon RF 70-200mm f2.8 does have IS, and is as compact... So no correlation there...
(04-07-2020, 09:17 AM)thxbb12 Wrote: Indeed, very attractive lens.
Recently, a friend of mine lent me his A7R Mark II and I really didn't like the shooting experience.

Sony's most clever move was to open up their mount protocol.
This is one of the main reasons why there are so many 3rd party alternatives.

Hi Florent,

I purchased A7R III and have been using it for last 3 months. I would say the user experience is not good initially, but after spending some time with the camera and configure the main settings it is alright. I sold all of my Nikon gear and have the Sony now and Oly OM-D m10. Getting used to Sony is about the same as getting used to Oly. Compared to Nikon is different story... Having the alternatives is great, this is the main reason I switched. I use it with Tamy 28-75 and Sigma 14-24 DN, it is fine. There is big selection on accessories too, such as L plates remote releases ... I will be selling the my Oly with 2 lenses as well.