Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wide Angle for X-T30
(05-23-2020, 08:36 PM)thxbb12 Wrote:
(05-23-2020, 12:37 AM)Hapo Wrote:
(05-22-2020, 08:12 PM)thxbb12 Wrote: I have the opposite opinion.
If 18mm is not enough, it's likely that 16 won't be either.
Heck, even 14mm might not be enough either.
What I can say though, is that the 14mm is a very good lens optically. Very well corrected optically (almost no distortion) and very sharp across the frame.
Unless you value some DOF control at wide angle, I don't see the point of the 16mm...
Now, if you want the most versatile package (at the cost of some IQ), the 10-24 f4 might be your best option.

...I was wondering if anyone would mention that lens...

...I was originally concerned that @ f4 it was too slow but in a review I read some where it was noted that the image stabilization more than made up for that in low light situations...

...how much IQ is compromised IYHO...???...Klaus seemed to like his...maybe I should just ask myself, " What would Klaus do ? "...

...I just noticed there is no 8-16mm/f2.8 review...I did consider that lens but it is just too big and expensive and does not have IS...

Compared to the 14mm f2.8, the 10-24 won't be as good optically. Not as sharp. The 14mm is tack sharp at f4. Maybe I had a bad sample of the 10-24, I don't know... But I've never been fully satisfied by its sharpness and this is especially true toward the longer end of the zoom.
In fact, I've never been very impressed by any Fuji zoom I've tested.
The primes are a different story, I find them very good.

...thank you for your informed opinion...

...maybe I should be comparing the Fuji 14mm f2.8 to the Zeiss Touit 12mm f2.8...

...this passage is causing me some consternation :

A key question is, of course, how the Zeiss lens performs compared to its nearest rival - the Fujinon XF 14mm f/2.8 R. The Fuji lens is slightly sharper in the image corners at medium apertures but then it's also not quite as wide. These two extra millimeters can make quite a difference. To phrase it differently: the diagonal view angle the Zeiss lens reaches 99 degrees vs 89 degrees for the Fuji lens. Thus if you are after an even more dramatic perspective in your images, the Zeiss may be the more interesting choice.

...the Zeiss 12mm lens is also larger and to some extent more costly than the Fuji 14mm...

...either would be n improvement over the 18-55...
(05-23-2020, 10:54 PM)Hapo Wrote:
(05-23-2020, 08:36 PM)thxbb12 Wrote:
(05-23-2020, 12:37 AM)Hapo Wrote:
(05-22-2020, 08:12 PM)thxbb12 Wrote: I have the opposite opinion.
If 18mm is not enough, it's likely that 16 won't be either.
Heck, even 14mm might not be enough either.
What I can say though, is that the 14mm is a very good lens optically. Very well corrected optically (almost no distortion) and very sharp across the frame.
Unless you value some DOF control at wide angle, I don't see the point of the 16mm...
Now, if you want the most versatile package (at the cost of some IQ), the 10-24 f4 might be your best option.

...I was wondering if anyone would mention that lens...

...I was originally concerned that @ f4 it was too slow but in a review I read some where it was noted that the image stabilization more than made up for that in low light situations...

...how much IQ is compromised IYHO...???...Klaus seemed to like his...maybe I should just ask myself, " What would Klaus do ? "...

...I just noticed there is no 8-16mm/f2.8 review...I did consider that lens but it is just too big and expensive and does not have IS...

Compared to the 14mm f2.8, the 10-24 won't be as good optically. Not as sharp. The 14mm is tack sharp at f4. Maybe I had a bad sample of the 10-24, I don't know... But I've never been fully satisfied by its sharpness and this is especially true toward the longer end of the zoom.
In fact, I've never been very impressed by any Fuji zoom I've tested.
The primes are a different story, I find them very good.

...thank you for your informed opinion...

...maybe I should be comparing the Fuji 14mm f2.8 to the Zeiss Touit 12mm f2.8...

...this passage is causing me some consternation :

A key question is, of course, how the Zeiss lens performs compared to its nearest rival - the Fujinon XF 14mm f/2.8 R. The Fuji lens is slightly sharper in the image corners at medium apertures but then it's also not quite as wide. These two extra millimeters can make quite a difference. To phrase it differently: the diagonal view angle the Zeiss lens reaches 99 degrees vs 89 degrees for the Fuji lens. Thus if you are after an even more dramatic perspective in your images, the Zeiss may be the more interesting choice.

...the Zeiss 12mm lens is also larger and to some extent more costly than the Fuji 14mm...

...either would be n improvement over the 18-55...

Here is a good comparison between the Fuji 14mm and the Zeiss 12mm : https://admiringlight.com/blog/zeiss-tou...mm-f2-8-r/

It appears the Fuji is better optically.
--Florent

Flickr gallery
...LoL...it would seem that we have come full circle back to the beginning...

...in the end I have to go with the Fuji 14mm f/2.8 for the same reasons I was thinking all along...

...in the case of the 16mm f/1.4, the 14mm f/2.8 was much smaller, much cheaper, wider, and just as sharp if not sharper...

...in the case of the Zeiss 12mm/2.8 , the Fuji 14mm f/2.8 is most all of the above, except it is probably "wide enough"...

...finding a used one in E+ condition for $599 @ Adorama helped rationalize this decision...

...the 10-24 f/4 was a wild distraction...LoL...if I ever actually do a video documentary I will probably regret this decision...

...the used one for $709 @ Adorama proved very distracting but your post helped me re focus...

...I do covet the 10-24 but cherish the aspects of the 14mm f/2.8 that attracted me to it in the first place, namely it's size and sharpness...

...I just hope I do not regret blowing off the image stabilization of the 10-24...that was one thing that I was twigged aboot...
Honestly - it just comes down to preference. All these lenses are very good.
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
...I would prefer all of them...I remain undecided...paralyzed with indecision, actually...LoL...

10-2 vs primes (link)

XF 10-24mm F/4 OIS vs. XF 14mm F/2.8

The XF 14mm F/2.8 is an incredible lens. The detail it resolves is astounding. The XF 10-24mm F/4 OIS actually keeps pace with the 14mm in this test, and maybe even exceeds it in the centre of the frame. Across all the apertures I’m seeing equally crisp details in the building and on the bare tree branches in front of it. Keep in mind there was a bit of a breeze that morning so the tree can’t be used as your only guide. Make your way into the corners and the XF 14mm F/2.8 holds detail a little better up to f/8. By f/11 things even out in the corners to my eye. Objectionable diffraction starts to set in on both lenses at f/16 and hits the XF 14mm F/2.8 a little harder by f/22.
(05-24-2020, 07:01 AM)Klaus Wrote: Honestly - it just comes down to preference. All these lenses are very good.

...did you hold on to your XF10-24 f/4...???...asking for a friend...  Tongue

...I decided to just go ahead and buy the used XF14mm f/2.8 before it sold too, although there does not appear to be quite the demand for it as for the XF10-24 f/4...

...I had actually ordered a used XF10-24 f/4 but was able to cancel it...after that it was snapped up in an hour...I do not think it had more than two hours of exposer...LoL...

...I had considered reordering it after reading the last review I posted here...I was still having the hesitation blues due to the mass of the thing...now it's gone...LoLoL...

...I don't know that I need a 10mm lens per se...I do know that I like the fact that the XF14 f/2.8 is as compact as the kit lens and can use the same filters...

...that might not make a big difference in the ability take better pictures but it might make a big difference in being taken along...

...thanks to all who responded to me n00b concerns…methinks it is time to start just shooting with what I have...