Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Next OL lens test report - Viltrox AF 33mm f/1.4 XF
https://www.opticallimits.com/fuji_x/1090-viltrox33f14

FYI - I've removed the ratings from the 26mp reviews. As so often this produced some stress to some readers and I'm rather tired of explaining our approach to ratings over and over again.
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
Doesn't look very enticing but nor did the Fuji 35/1.4. I wonder what the Sigma 30/1.4 would look like?
The Sigma isn't available for Fuji X I think.

No but the Viltrox isn't for the X mount only, either. Smile
(05-31-2020, 02:55 AM)Klaus Wrote: https://www.opticallimits.com/fuji_x/1090-viltrox33f14

FYI - I've removed the ratings from the 26mp reviews. As so often this produced some stress to some readers and I'm rather tired of explaining our approach to ratings over and over again.

First off, thank you for the review! I consider your site the gold standard for reviews, so your efforts are much appreciated. It's going to be a tough choice between this and the Fujinon 35mm 1.4... but I think the faster AF motor seals the deal.

I have no qualms about your ratings on this site, in fact I appreciate an "average" lens scoring around a 3.

What is the particular concern as it relates to the 26 MP reviews though? Is it the confusion between the resolution scores of the older 16 MP sensor? If so, is the plan stilltstill update some of the previous reviews with the newer sensor?
Not a bad lens at all (in the field), it just doesn´t like lab tests.
Better af speed than Fuji is a plus, but Fuji 35 f1.4 is pretty fast mounted on X-T30 (much better than on earlier models).
Still I prefer the smaller form factor and the bokeh (I think) of the Fuji 35 f1.4.
(05-31-2020, 02:55 AM)Klaus Wrote: https://www.opticallimits.com/fuji_x/1090-viltrox33f14

I am perplexed by this choice and do not understand the usefulness, I have probably lost part of the discussion ... Will all the next Fujifilm tests be like this?
There have been some rather insulting messages in the Viltrox 23mm review about the rather average rating.
Honestly, I can live with criticism but there are limits.

I will reintroduce the ratings once there'll be more than 10 reviews in the 26mp section.

Generally, the retest ratings of native Fuji lenses will have some sour aftertaste for some ... because a 26mp sensor is too much for most lenses.
This became already clear with the 24mp Sony E tests. The center scales well, the borders ... not so much.

Besides - the star rating isn't everything. You can easily conclude the performance from the charts.

(06-01-2020, 09:49 AM)Klaus Wrote: There have been some rather insulting messages in the Viltrox 23mm review about the rather average rating.

I will reintroduce the ratings once there'll be more than 10 reviews in the 26mp section.

Generally, the retest ratings of native Fuji lenses will have some sour aftertaste for some ... because a 26mp sensor is too much for most lenses.
This became already clear with the 24mp Sony E tests. The center scales well, the borders ... not so much.

Besides - the star rating isn't everything. You can easily conclude the performance from the charts.

Dunno why all that buzz about the stars rating, and this obsession with sharpness.
most often the difference is only visible on MTF charts and we are not shooting MTF charts.
How many can tell the difference between two pictures taken with the same settings on the same camera taken with Sigma 50f1.4 ART and Tokina opera 50mmf1.4 ??

People want numbers they want to compare, they want to know the easy way which is better and by how much, is price difference justified ?
(06-01-2020, 09:12 AM)dariba Wrote:

I am perplexed by this choice and do not understand the usefulness, I have probably lost part of the discussion ... Will all the next Fujifilm tests be like this?

(06-01-2020, 09:49 AM)Klaus Wrote: There have been some rather insulting messages in the Viltrox 23mm review about the rather average rating.

Ahhh, that's unfortunate and over the top that folks would resort to insults. I like the star ratings moreso because it condenses your overall thoughts on IQ.

I think most of the native lenses in the fuji system are great, even at 24 MP, so I doesn't bother me if the 26MP re-test brings to light some of their flaws. I mainly use the charts to compare across lenses in the Fuji-X system and don't care how their lenses compare to different systems.