Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Irix 45mm f/1.4 announced
For DSLRs

https://blog.irixusa.com/irix-45mm-f-1-4...announced/
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
No matter if another 45 mm is needed or not: Nikon should hire the Irix designer to get some nicer mirrorless lenses Undecided Optically Irix might not be top notch, but their design is a bigger pleasure to look at than the cheap looking Z-lenses.
True. The blue "hump" on the focus ring looks especially nice.

The neutrino coating remains silly though ;-)
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
I like the focus lock and the rear filter slot (of the 11/4, although that one should have been designed better), the hood is very functional and the rear cap less slippery.

I also like the electrical contacts (LAOWA!), although I had mine already in a repair because one of the pins didn't come out again. Which took ages - at the end the dealer lost patience and gave me a new copy.
Now, AF please and then we'll talk. Smile

Though I'm kinda enamoured with my Tamron 45mm so probably wouldn't change it for anything unless a super compelling option crops up (a well performing AF 50/1.2 in EF mount for $700... fat chance!)
(03-13-2020, 01:06 PM)Rover Wrote: Now, AF please and then we'll talk. Smile

Though I'm kinda enamoured with my Tamron 45mm so probably wouldn't change it for anything unless a super compelling option crops up (a well performing AF 50/1.2 in EF mount for $700... fat chance!)

Get Sigma Art 40/1.4 if you need AF. It's definitely the one to rule them all type of lens. At this focal length, it can double 35 and 50mm, so you can get Art 28/1.4 and Art 105/1.4 and have a trio of best DSLR primes around.

I'm still interested in what the IRIX has to offer.
I already got the Tamron 45/1.8 though. Smile
The EF 40mm f2.8 STM seems more attractive price and size wise than that Sigma (40mm) ;-)

This Irix is heavier than a Sigma 50mm f1.4 Art... That is quite a lot (except compared to the Sigma 40mm). It appears to render nicer than the Sigma, and be a bit sharper than the Sigma (at least at the edges), but that Sigma offers AF. For manual focus lens, I think I would prefer the Zeiss 50mm f1.4 Milvus over this Irix because it appears to render even nicer, but the Irix is quite a bit cheaper.

Choices, choices..
The Sigma 40mm is awesome, I tried it. Super sharp, with fast and decisive AF. Though the 35/1.4 is not too shabby either, the accolades it got when it was released (is it really 8 years old by now?) were justified. I used that one for a bit more, even though it wasn't mine either.
It's available in Pentax K mount...