Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Olympus spins off its camera business ...
(06-25-2020, 09:12 AM)thxbb12 Wrote: I like what this poster wrote about the sale to JIP:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/64075472

In summary: that's almost certainly the end of Olympus, unfortunately.

Great link and post !! 

So this is about Olympus "paying out" to JIP to take any legal responsibility off their own hands as an    "alternative to filing for bankruptcy" !  ......... 
 JIP will then tie up any legal loose ends in the guise of mounting a re-float to a likely non-existant buyer to continue the brand name under the newly created company of "Newco"..... mounted uniquely as a buffer from Olympus's limited company financial responsibilities.
....... whereupon after a period of time with no takers .... the whole re-float plan can be declared as unsuccessful and Newco as a company is declared bankrupt, (having existed in only manikin form) ....... everybody washes their hands of the whole business ........ and Olympus lives to fight another day with their medical division.

....... and the rest will become tomorrow's Wiki history !!

It must not be forgotten that Olympus went through a money scam some years back where they were moving monies from the camera/medical division until the events came to light.

I knew bankruptcy was in the game somewhere ..... but it's Newco that will be probably filing for it!!

(06-25-2020, 10:25 AM)Klaus Wrote:
(06-25-2020, 09:25 AM)wim Wrote:
(06-25-2020, 08:42 AM)Klaus Wrote: You know what's funny?

Hours prior to the announcement I ordered an E-M5 III kit.
But yes, I cancelled the order ...
I understand the feeling.

However, the quality of the camera has not become less due to this announcement Smile.

Kind regards, Wim

Well, if you have the choice between Panasonic and Olympus ... what's the more sensible choice now (if MFT at all)?

What I'm really pissed off about (as an Olympus shooter, not as a reviewer) - during the last months they mentioned several times that they will not sell. 

I could have lived with a spin-off where they remain the (majority) owner. However, having seen what JIP did to VAIO (having owned a VAIO laptop back in the days), I'll not be along for the ride with them.

Well they were right they didn't sell out ....... they bought their way out !!  Smile

Messages In This Thread
RE: Olympus spins off its camera business ... - by davidmanze - 06-24-2020, 12:42 PM
RE: Olympus spins off its camera business ... - by davidmanze - 06-25-2020, 10:34 AM
RE: Olympus spins off its camera business ... - by davidmanze - 06-25-2020, 10:53 AM
RE: Olympus spins off its camera business ... - by davidmanze - 06-26-2020, 09:26 AM
RE: Olympus spins off its camera business ... - by davidmanze - 06-26-2020, 12:39 PM
RE: Olympus spins off its camera business ... - by davidmanze - 06-26-2020, 05:52 PM
RE: Olympus spins off its camera business ... - by davidmanze - 06-28-2020, 12:48 AM
RE: Olympus spins off its camera business ... - by davidmanze - 06-28-2020, 10:30 AM
RE: Olympus spins off its camera business ... - by davidmanze - 07-01-2020, 05:13 PM