Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sensor dynamic range and native ISO
(06-25-2020, 11:16 AM)Brightcolours Wrote: You still appear to be conflating high ISO noise reduction (seen mostly years ago in the D3 era, concerning those scientific papers you are referring to) with higher DR at low ISO (where no NR is being applied). 
The high ISO NR also depends/ed on exposure time and/or high ISO NR being enabled or not. Making blanket statements about Sony/Nikon based on some vague memories of something you read in the past does not make for the most accurate posts.

So, mostly incorrect. 

You are making unsubstantiated assumptions here. I only gave the starry sky images as an example, basically because everybody knows those. 

I used to have a 1D Mk III at some point, which had similar complaints. A small piece of software I acquired that used similar algorihtms as to what Nikon did at the time, gave similar results DR-wise at base iso. It was nice to experiment with this, but it was another step in the processing flow, and I didn't need it anyway.

I haven't kept track of any of this, other than occasionally browsing new articles on the subject, if I happened to come acoss them, but basically Canon chooses to not process noise prior to storing "RAW" results as much as Nikon and Sony do. That they have a slight disadvantage in their current line-up of processors with off-sensor processing of signals is clear, but it isn't really 2 stops of DR.

Besides, as mentioned, I do not really care about this.

Regards, Wim
Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....

Messages In This Thread
Sensor dynamic range and native ISO - by toni-a - 06-25-2020, 06:31 AM
RE: Sensor dynamic range and native ISO - by miro - 06-25-2020, 08:22 AM
RE: Sensor dynamic range and native ISO - by wim - 06-25-2020, 09:22 AM
RE: Sensor dynamic range and native ISO - by wim - 06-25-2020, 10:49 AM
RE: Sensor dynamic range and native ISO - by miro - 06-25-2020, 12:31 PM
RE: Sensor dynamic range and native ISO - by wim - 06-25-2020, 08:01 PM
RE: Sensor dynamic range and native ISO - by wim - 06-26-2020, 08:48 PM
RE: Sensor dynamic range and native ISO - by wim - 08-01-2020, 08:12 PM