Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another RF brick landed in da lab
Boy and I thought Sigmas are big ...
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
(07-17-2020, 08:16 AM)Klaus Wrote: Boy and I thought Sigmas are big ...

28-70 f/2?
--Florent

Flickr gallery

Yes, it's not bigger than the Sigma 85mm Art. But it's twice as heavy as the Samyang 85mm f/1.4. And probably twice as much volume, too.

(07-17-2020, 09:19 AM)Klaus Wrote: 85

Yes, it's not bigger than the Sigma 85mm Art. But it's twice as heavy as the Samyang 85mm f/1.4. And probably twice as much volume, too.

It is just a little bit heavier than the Samyang 85mm f1.2 (MF only).. The Mitakon Speedmaster  85mm f1.2 is a bit lighter,  MF only, but available for more mounts (Sony FE, A, Nikon F, Fuji G, Canon EF, Pentax K).

For a modern f1.2 lens it is not big and heavy (see that Sigma 85mm f1.4, Zeiss Otus, Pentax 85mm f1.4).

So yes, a big and heavy brick. But compact and light in the light of "modern 85mm f1.4" lenses...
Hopefully also "twice" the performance of the Samyang EF 85/1.4, which was pretty meh if I remember. :-)
(07-17-2020, 09:19 AM)Klaus Wrote: 85

You may actually like this lens. It has become my goto-lens over the RF50L. I just love it Smile.
I do recommend the battery grip with it, however. It is comfortable enough without, but really comfortable with it, and somehow doesn't feel so heavy either. I always hated battery grips on DSLRs, tried quite a few, and abandoned them again, but with the R and the RF85L it is different, it works well and is comfortable Smile.

Kind regards, Wim
Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....
Interestingly ... I found the technical bokeh to be a bit nervous.

Of course, this isn't good picture ... but is this a good bokeh ...?

https://photos.smugmug.com/Canon-RF-85mm...6A1489.jpg

Maybe the chosen grass is a special case, if you look at the birds in out of focus area, there the bokeh is quite nice...
My impression is you wanted to see what the background seagulls would look like OOF, and chose an angle accordingly. Well, if that was the case, the OOF seagulls are fine. I think you have to try to make a good photo if you are going to use it to evaluate a lens. (I say that because you said yourself it is a bad photo, or words to that effect).

That said, the OOF grass is terrible. It sort of reminds me of what close focus shots look like if they are at an angle and include a complex background.
(07-18-2020, 05:29 AM)Klaus Wrote: Interestingly ... I found the technical bokeh to be a bit nervous.

Of course, this isn't good picture ... but is this a good bokeh ...?

https://photos.smugmug.com/Canon-RF-85mm...6A1489.jpg
Now try the same shot with any other lens Smile.

The OOF grass actually looks very nice. The only lenses capapble of better bokeh with grass are the TS-Es Smile.

Kind regards, Wim
Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....