Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nikon Z mount lenses reviews
I would like to have some of the Nikon Z mount lenses reviewed. Is there a reason why they aren't reviewed on the opticallimits.com?

Thank you.

.jpg   Screenshot 2020-08-05 at 18.05.44.jpg (Size: 146.24 KB / Downloads: 12)
Well, the thing is - we are two guys here - I am located in Australia. Nikon is grossly unpopular here with no well-supplied rental options.
This business has been collapsing alongside the rest of the industry so the other guy - located in Germany - has been trying to build up his own (besides other stuff) leaving no time for aspects other than administration.

So we are back to hobby mode - with all the related limitations. Maybe I will pick up a third FF system if MFT goes bust - but even then I'm not sure whether to go L-mount or Z-mount. But maybe Markus will find the time eventually - he had a Z7 and all the lenses at least.
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
Hi,

Thanks for the answer. I understand your situation. The point I want to make is that your website is checked by people all over the world and I think your audience is more in US and Europe where there are still quite a many Nikon users. Does the location matter so much in reality?

Thanks,
Hannu
Well, in a perfect world scenario we'd test all systems but besides the time it requires investment. And the party ends when the required investment is higher than the revenue from ads and donations.

In the past it was done, maybe it could be a solution
members can send their gear to be used for lens tests
it is a win-win situation the owner has a thorough testing for his equipment we have new tests.
This can be also interesting for those selling gear, a specimen " tested and verified by opticallimits" has surely a lot of added value that overcome shipping costs, and even those buying gear will find an advantage having their gear tested and verified by experts before having it , tiis way they can return it in case of defect.
Of course this will put Klaus under the pressure of rapidly finishing the tests...
Just a suggestion, if I were to buy new gear now, I wouldn't hesitate doing it
I'm afraid there is not that much to win for both sides, Toni. Even if we do test a lens and with review results document its performance, it's still a used lens, typically full of electronics and other stuff that could fail at any time, if it is a fairly modern lens.

In addition, the investments Klaus mentioned remain. To test lenses new to the market, there is hardly an alternative to buying them. And the biggest investment is to buy a high resolution camera. To give you an idea: for the Nikon section alone I had to buy the D850, D7200 and for Z reviews the Z7 and Z50, plus lenses.

That's why for example L-mount reviews are unlikely to happen, until either Klaus or me feel the urge to explore that system for our own personal needs.

(08-06-2020, 05:33 AM)Hiranmaya108 Wrote: I understand your situation. The point I want to make is that your website is checked by people all over the world and I think your audience is more in US and Europe where there are still quite a many Nikon users. Does the location matter so much in reality?

The location doesn't matter, at least not to me Wink As described by Klaus, the main issue is time. I do have the cameras (for quite a while already) and a selection of Z lenses... I am simply lacking time to move on with the reviews.
Editor
opticallimits.com

(08-06-2020, 10:23 AM)mst Wrote: I'm afraid there is not that much to win for both sides, Toni. Even if we do test a lens and with review results document its performance, it's still a used lens, typically full of electronics and other stuff that could fail at any time, if it is a fairly modern lens.

In addition, the investments Klaus mentioned remain. To test lenses new to the market, there is hardly an alternative to buying them. And the biggest investment is to buy a high resolution camera. To give you an idea: for the Nikon section alone I had to buy the D850, D7200 and for Z reviews the Z7 and Z50, plus lenses.

That's why for example L-mount reviews are unlikely to happen, until either Klaus or me feel the urge to explore that system for our own personal needs.

(08-06-2020, 05:33 AM)Hiranmaya108 Wrote: I understand your situation. The point I want to make is that your website is checked by people all over the world and I think your audience is more in US and Europe where there are still quite a many Nikon users. Does the location matter so much in reality?

The location doesn't matter, at least not to me Wink As described by Klaus, the main issue is time. I do have the cameras (for quite a while already) and a selection of Z lenses... I am simply lacking time to move on with the reviews.

Hope you got the time and the funds soon to resume this initiative. The whole world is relying on you, guys!

And, mst, since you are still in Germany, once you start reviewing stuff again, could you politely ask Zeiss to give you some copies of the Milvus and Otus lines and have them tested on D850 or Z7?
You just can't have too many lenses...
When I come to Australia I'll offload all my gear bag at Klaus's place so that he can test the lenses within.

Here's hoping I get something better than what I got now lens-wise - which is mostly film-era junk with just a couple of modern items - by that time. :-)

Wouldn't mind the 24-85 being rolled around on a 5DSR for a laugh, though, just to see how badly it's going to be demolished (and then to heap pity on the underdog as I always do).
(08-06-2020, 01:52 PM)faint Wrote: Hope you got the time and the funds soon to resume this initiative.

The main issue currently is time. The gear is already in the lab for a while.

(08-06-2020, 01:52 PM)faint Wrote: And, mst, since you are still in Germany, once you start reviewing stuff again, could you politely ask Zeiss to give you some copies of the Milvus and Otus lines and have them tested on D850 or Z7?

That is, honestly, unlikely to happen. First of all, there is a huge pile of more mainstream stuff that I need to work on, first. Milvus and Otus lenses target a niche market, so have no high priority on our side. But at least for the Milvus lenses that still use the same optical design as the older ZE/ZF lenses, you can get an impression from our past reviews of those lenses.

In addition, we usually do not ask the manufacturers for loaners (with the exception of small brands) to avoid being accused of getting 'golden samples'.

However, I once got in touch with Zeiss quite a few years ago and asked if this was an option, maybe. Their answer was very clear and it was obvious between the lines they did not consider us to be a serious review business (such a small team, no professional background in photography, and we don't even publish on paper!).
Editor
opticallimits.com

Well, I think the situation has changed a little since THAT era ;-)

Every secondary youtube channel can get review samples these days - if you are ready to bother with their marketing departments ... which is costing time ... and that's not what we have much of.