Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Macbook Pro display backlit went the way of the Dodo
I think one is going to say it's good or bad in function of the warranty coverage: any minor fix is expensive, so if you're in you enjoy that Apple pays for it; if you're out...

I have a Mid-2015 MBP, bought exactly four years ago. The battery is at 57% of health, which means still 90 minutes more or less (of course it depends on the usage). It's still useful, but I started thinking of replacing it. The lockdown made me postpone the decision, because so far I only worked remotely. I'll probably have it replaced the next month. They will charge me 250€ because replacing the battery implies replacing the whole cover, including the keyboard and the touchpad. Not being covered by warranty, I'm not happy - but it's not a big expense.

What puzzles me is the overall quality of Apple hardware. The battery degradation is normal, but I also experienced a touchpad haptic feedback failure a couple of years ago. Now, one could say: with 250€ I'm going to change also the touchpad, so my laptop is going to be totally renewed. While 4 years of life is my target for a laptop (never reached by Apple stuff so far), I'm thinking of extending it for 2 more years and reach the moment of the ARM switch. It could work, because I was successful in replacing the internal SSD to 2TB and there's plenty of disk space.

Unfortunately one month ago the anti-glare of the screen started coming off. This is *really* annoying. I didn't know, but it looks it's not an uncommon problem. Well, this stuff shouldn't happen.
stoppingdown.net

Sony a6300, Sony a6000, Sony NEX-6, Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS, Sony Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS, Sony FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS, Sigma 150-600mm Æ’/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary, Samyang 12mm Æ’/2, Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A, Meyer Gorlitz Trioplan 100mm Æ’/2.8, Samyang 8mm Æ’/3.5 fish-eye II | Zenit Helios 44-2 58mm Æ’/2 
Plus some legacy Nikkor lenses.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Macbook Pro display backlit went the way of the Dodo - by stoppingdown - 08-11-2020, 01:22 PM