Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Weird report, R5 overheating is fake, it's a deliberate software limit..
(08-22-2020, 09:19 AM)wim Wrote: Ok proof that EOSHD is making stuff up:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4513397

Kind regards, Wim

EOSHD has got a reputation for slagging Canon ...... so it comes as no surprise that he would try to hide stuff ...............

.... however, even with this aluminium "heat-sink" ...... where is this heat going ..... nowhere! ... it has it been left to just cook in the camera  ...... it's one thing to have heat sinks but it serves little if it doesn't sink the heat away .... it is too small and goes no where.... 10 watts of heat remains 10 watts of heat if it doesn't get out to the outside world .....

Canon in effect has handed Sony a four course meal on golden plate here ..... what a last minute reprieve? ....... what would it's reason for being be otherwise ...... if the R5 didn't overheat ? ..... nothing, it would have been dead in the water !!
   12 Mp ....... no 8K ..... limited stills quality ....... only low light performance on it's side ........ it's only the overheating of the R5, that gave it a reason to be .......
... this round might not be a deciding factor ...... the next round though will be more of an indicator as how much Canon wants to protect their professional range ........ 

Steve Jobs once, after being accused of bastardising his product line replied: ......
 "If you don't bastardise your own product lines, somebody else will do it for you!!"
In this case it will be Sony!!

BTW. Kelvin Wooo goes on to say "Canon didn't want us to burn our hands on the R5" ..... which goes to show that he is also capable of talking total nonsense .....

It's all about seeing the bigger picture .... and not being brand faithful!
(08-22-2020, 12:05 PM)davidmanze Wrote:
(08-22-2020, 09:19 AM)wim Wrote: Ok proof that EOSHD is making stuff up:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4513397

Kind regards, Wim

EOSHD has got a reputation for slagging Canon ...... so it comes as no surprise that he would try to hide stuff ...............

.... however, even with this aluminium "heat-sink" ...... where is this heat going ..... nowhere! ... it has it been left to just cook in the camera  ...... it's one thing to have heat sinks but it serves little if it doesn't sink the heat away .... it is too small and goes no where.... 10 watts of heat remains 10 watts of heat if it doesn't get out to the outside world .....

Canon in effect has handed Sony a four course meal on golden plate here ..... what a last minute reprieve? ....... what would it's reason for being be otherwise ...... if the R5 didn't overheat ? ..... nothing, it would have been dead in the water !!
   12 Mp ....... no 8K ..... limited stills quality ....... only low light performance on it's side ........ it's only the overheating of the R5, that gave it a reason to be .......
... this round might not be a deciding factor ...... the next round though will be more of an indicator as how much Canon wants to protect their professional range ........ 

Steve Jobs once, after being accused of bastardising his product line replied: ......
 "If you don't bastardise your own product lines, somebody else will do it for you!!"
In this case it will be Sony!!

BTW. Kelvin Wooo goes on to say "Canon didn't want us to burn our hands on the R5" ..... which goes to show that he is also capable of talking total nonsense .....

It's all about seeing the bigger picture .... and not being brand faithful!
Actually, even the 5D II would get hot after shooting with it for a while, and so do all sealed, non-actively cooled cameras when shooting video.

Anyway, the problem has been solved now <ROFL>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygO64oE5...e=youtu.be

Well, at least temporarily.

TBVH, I do not really care at all - I am a stills shooter, and for shooting stills, the R5 looks like a hell of a camera. If Canon had not gone mirroless, I would have likely gone for a 5DsR, but this is way better IMO.

Oh, my reason for choosing Canon is ergonomics, UI, the fact that I could MF with any Canon camera body, unlike Nikon bodies (I have weird eyes, can't get a sharp image through a Nikon view finder) and lenses which no one else has or used to have (MP-E 65, TS-Es). I find Sony bodies very uncomfortable to hold, unlike the EOS R cameras. I also have a complete set of MFT stuff, so not bound to a single brand either.

Kind regards, Wim
Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....
Wim wrote:

....... "TBVH, I do not really care at all - I am a stills shooter" ........

....... Ah ....... don't care at all ....... just rally to your patriot brand in times of war I suppose ?........ that Canon call of duty
Smile Smile Smile
(08-22-2020, 04:01 PM)davidmanze Wrote: Wim wrote:

....... Ah ....... don't care at all ....... just rally to your patriot brand in times of war I suppose ?........ that Canon call of duty
Smile Smile Smile

Right, Dave. You never shot video, and you jumped all over this overheating hype the moment the R5 was announced. You should not care (you don't do video), yet attack Wim here? Funny. Your Canon bashing call of duty? :-O
https://fstoppers.com/gear/eos-r5-overhe...xed-508063
Another report about artificial overheating warning
Even if it can be fixed via a firmware upgrade, would Canon acknowledge artificial limitation and issue a firmware upgrade fix?
(08-22-2020, 05:04 PM)Brightcolours Wrote:

Smile Smile Smile

Right, Dave. You never shot video, and you jumped all over this overheating hype the moment the R5 was announced. You should not care (you don't do video), yet attack Wim here? Funny. Your Canon bashing call of duty? :-O

I'm interested in cameras BC ..... the R5 is one of the most interesting to date ......
I think Wim would have seen the tease .... his replies always contain reasoned argument and sources ........
To change the subject for a bit, I think I spotted a Minolta 58mm f1.2 in a 2nd hand store window, peeking out from a camera bag. The reason I think it might be that lens is that it could not have been much longer than a standard lens, appeared to have a metal knurled focus ring, and the lens info written on the barrel.focus ring outside the lens cap. I think the bag was priced €35... I wonder if I should go for it?
(08-22-2020, 07:52 PM)Brightcolours Wrote: To change the subject for a bit, I think I spotted a Minolta 58mm f1.2 in a 2nd hand store window, peeking out from a camera bag. The reason I think it might be that lens is that it could not have been much longer than a standard lens, appeared to have a metal knurled focus ring, and the lens info written on the barrel.focus ring outside the lens cap. I think the bag was priced €35... I wonder if I should go for it?
If the going price is what I have seen over the past few years, I would not recommend it. It isn't really all that good, old design after all, unless you really want the look. And for almost the same price you could actually get a good, used EF 50 F/1.2L these days, and they are more fun IMO. Plus, they do amazingly well in macro mode with extension rings.

Kind regards, Wim

Smile Smile Smile
<ROFL>

Well, I only reply if I think the world out there is overdoing it, and if it is a brand I know a little about because I use it Smile.

Is that a call of duty? Maybe just a reaction against what these days is called "Trumpism" Tongue.

Kind regards, Wim
Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....
Where can you get a EF 50mm f1.2 L for €35? :-O
(08-22-2020, 08:46 PM)Brightcolours Wrote: Where can you get a EF 50mm f1.2 L for €35? :-O
€35? Wowzers. You're sure that that i snot a misprint? Last time I checked they went for over € 500, and that was about 9 months ago .... The F/1.2 that is. Are you sure it is not an F/1.4?

You'd also need to add in either an adapter for mirrorless, or a conversion if you'd want to use it on a Canon dslr.

Anyway, if it is an F/1.2, go for it, at that price Smile. Provided of course you will use it Smile.
I have actually bought a couple of MF lenses in the past, and adapted, and ended up never really using them beyond a couple of test shots. Sold them on since, but won't do that again. The only MF lenses I will use are macro lenses and tilt-shift lenses, basically lenses which allow for relaxed and/or thoughtful shooting Smile.

Kind regards, Wim