Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sony A7S III announced
(07-31-2020, 11:33 AM)Klaus Wrote: Wow, what a fanboy comment ;-)

If pros say that the R5 isn't fit for video purpose, it isn't.

The A7s has been used for years in its various versions. The S1H remains the one to beat I reckon.

That is - if you are into toys. If my income would depend on it, I'd buy a Red Helium anyway ;-)
The only actual video pro I saw doing a video who used the camera as is, said he had no actual issues with either the A7S III or the R5, on actual video shoots.

The other video pro used the R5 all rigged up with HDMI out usage, where the R5 turned off the overheating protection, which I mentioned above.

The R5 appears to actually be fit for video, and especially suited for IBIS/IS and AF usage.

(07-31-2020, 05:43 PM)davidmanze Wrote:
(07-31-2020, 11:33 AM)Klaus Wrote: Wow, what a fanboy comment ;-)

If pros say that the R5 isn't fit for video purpose, it isn't.

Further thoughts from this video

from approx. 16 mins - 20mins

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xa2zNmPatz4

There's a lot of waffle as it's a photography debate but .....
They keep repeating the same talking points. 
Thing is, you do not shoot 4K60 in normal production, only for slomo takes. R5 with 4K30 has no temperature related shooting limitations. 
Yes, it has the 29minutes and 59 seconds video duration limitation, and the A7S III does not.
(07-30-2020, 06:52 PM)toni-a Wrote: although personally I don't care...but A7siii does overheat and sometimes faster than R5
https://petapixel.com/2020/07/30/sony-a7...es-report/

Could the Sony running hotter there because the hot air out from the fan of Panasonic is aimed directly at the Sony, while it's between two hot cameras to begin with?

Edit: Saw that guy's second test. Sony definitely seems to be overheating more quickly under direct sunlight, which luckily can be avoided rather easily.
(07-31-2020, 08:38 AM)Brightcolours Wrote: The A7S III heats up more, that is why the camera overheated 1st in the same hot situation with a lower bitrate than the R5.
However, the passive cooling Sony is proud of does cool it down faster.

People note that the R5 never feels hot, the battery never feels hot when it does give the overheat warning. The biggest issue is that the camera (at this pre-production state) turns off overheating protection as soon as HMDI recorders/monitors get connected, where it will overheat way sooner in 8K and 4K60, and even in other more "normal" 4K30/24 modes. 
So, the overheat stop looks to be set quite conservative, and the HDMI issue should get a fix in the firmware, and if the camera does heat up, the A7S III's cooling structure is more efficient.

The R5 appears to be an amazing camera, with many aspects beating the Sony A7S III in video (a big higher quality 4K when in HQ mode (oversampling), much better video IBIS, much lower shutter jello and being a great high resolution stills camera. The A7S III does better in really high ISO, of course with a quarter megapixels/half the resolution.

By the way, there probably is a good reason for Sony's weak IBIS with their FF cameras: the corners of the sensor already hide behind the mount without the sensor moving so probably they just can't move further to get better IBIS. The difference between the Sony FF IBIS and IBIS from Fuji, Nikon, Olympus already had been noticed.

A shame we can't have a honest discussion on here about these things, to keep things in perspective. Even pointing out facts like that 4K60 is for slow motion falls on deaf ears, here.

New information about Sony's A7SIII overheating in full sunshine.

In a nutshell, two users experienced this overheating while most other reviewers couldn't replicate the issue .... ....... from the utube channel "Three blind men and an elephant"...... the guy philosophises on the reason "his" Sony overheated when others had no problems.

The lens used on the A7SIII for overheating tests was the new emount Samyang all plastic lenses including a plastic mount ........ it also turns out that the A7SIII uses the the mount/ lens combination for heat dissipation ........

......... the Samyang lens just prevented heat from being dissipated to the outside world .......

....... so don't use cheap plastic lenses and you'll do fine!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuR6ns5yHMY

The link is just for confirming the source ......... you can watch it ........ but ......

......... you are unlikely to regain consciousness !! Smile
Dave's clichés
?

Anyway, there is new information about mixed bag female Tony's R5 issue... She switched from Sony A7R III to the EOS R5.
(09-01-2020, 10:29 AM)Brightcolours Wrote: ?

Anyway, there is new information about mixed bag female Tony's R5 issue... She switched from Sony A7R III to the EOS R5.

Chelsea changed to the R5 .... yes ......... she's primarily a stills shooter ........

Tony on the other hand doesn't want to "risk his career" shooting his videos on the R5 and has pre-ordered the A7SIII ......

Horses for courses !!
Dave's clichés
(09-01-2020, 11:00 AM)davidmanze Wrote:

Chelsea changed to the R5 .... yes ......... she's primarily a stills shooter ........

Tony on the other hand doesn't want to "risk his career" shooting his videos on the R5 and has pre-ordered the A7SIII ......

Horses for courses !!

The thing was about the supposed EVF lag, remember?
(09-01-2020, 11:05 AM)Brightcolours Wrote:

Horses for courses !!

No comments on the A7SIII non overheating issue BC ??

It was both that stated they had experienced EVF lag with long FL lenses especially with TCs ......
Chelsea is not changing from the D850 but from the Sony A7RIV  because of too many Mps ......so from one EVF lag to another ....... 

....... I don't think they make any money shooting wildlife for them it's just a hobby ....... Tony will be keeping Nikon DSLRs to go with his range of long glass inc. the 600F4E.
....... so the R5 is probably the ideal camera for portraits and weddings  ...... Chelsea never liked Sony's user experience......
Dave's clichés
(09-01-2020, 11:36 AM)davidmanze Wrote:

Horses for courses !!

It was both that stated they had experienced EVF lag with long FL lenses especially with TCs ......
Chelsea is not changing from the D850 but from the Sony A7RIV  because of too many Mps ......so from one EVF lag to another ....... 

....... I don't think they make any money shooting wildlife for them it's just a hobby ....... Tony will be keeping Nikon DSLRs to go with his range of long glass inc. the 600F4E.
....... so the R5 is probably the ideal camera for portraits and weddings  ...... Chelsea never liked Sony's user experience......

You did not post ANY  A7S III info in that post, Dave. Hence the question mark.

The EVF lag was a settings error, I have explained that to you. Teleconverters do not make for lag. But if you want to keep trolling on that, be my guest.
(09-01-2020, 11:58 AM)Brightcolours Wrote:
(09-01-2020, 11:36 AM)davidmanze Wrote:

Horses for courses !!

You did not post ANY  A7S III info in that post, Dave. Hence the question mark.

The EVF lag was a settings error, I have explained that to you. Tele-converters do not make for lag. But if you want to keep trolling on that, be my guest.

I did post the link ....... I pressed the Ctrl button during writing the 
post, I completed it and re-posted .....

go to 24 mins ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuR6ns5yHMY
Dave's clichés