Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New arrival in the lab
At some point it obviously takes some effort to add another half stop.

.jpg   IMG_8911.jpg (Size: 300.21 KB / Downloads: 31)
Editor
opticallimits.com

Nice!

Looking forward to your findings.

Very interested how the APD stacks again the new lens when it comes to Bokeh
You just can't have too many lenses...
Owie... That was fast!
Yep... and completely unexpected: I got it used already Wink
Editor
opticallimits.com

Did the previous user ever tell you why he parted with it so soon?
Yes, he was looking for something with even less DOF and realized that for this particular need FF would be a better fit. Plus, he already has the XF 56 APD and there is not much difference in the ability to isolate the subject from the background (so, the quantity of bokeh, the quality might be a different issue), definitely not enough to justify the difference in weight and price. Since he bought the lens new in a store, he couldn't return it, so offered it on a forum, just days after he bought it new.
Editor
opticallimits.com

The APD has less subject isolation than the non-APD. The non-APD will have about the same subject isolation as the 50mm f1, because the apertures are about the same size. From what I have seen, the 50mm f1 appears to have smoother bokeh than both 56mm f1.2 versions.
(10-05-2020, 06:31 AM)mst Wrote: Yes, he was looking for something with even less DOF and realized that for this particular need FF would be a better fit. Plus, he already has the XF 56 APD and there is not much difference in the ability to isolate the subject from the background (so, the quantity of bokeh, the quality might be a different issue), definitely not enough to justify the difference in weight and price. Since he bought the lens new in a store, he couldn't return it, so offered it on a forum, just days after he bought it new.

Well, if all of... that... helped you get a spankin' new lens at a discount price, guess it's a good thing. Smile
I'd like to see the review of that, even though I wouldn't get this lens when switching to Fuji (which is now out of question due to the unfavourable exchange rate).
(10-05-2020, 07:09 AM)Brightcolours Wrote: The APD has less subject isolation than the non-APD. The non-APD will have about the same subject isolation as the 50mm f1, because the apertures are about the same size. From what I have seen, the 50mm f1 appears to have smoother bokeh than both 56mm f1.2 versions.

Could you please elaborate on your statement concerning the lesser subject isolation of the APD ?
The APD and non-APD have the same depth-of-field characteristic but different T-value at large-aperture settings. The APD-element isn't black at the edges so the diameter of the aperture remains the same.
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji