Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
That Canon link is now linking to the Nikon Z9 sports camera
(10-07-2020, 11:04 AM)davidmanze Wrote:
(10-07-2020, 09:56 AM)Brightcolours Wrote:
(10-07-2020, 08:13 AM)davidmanze Wrote: It is clearly aimed as a ML replacement for the D6 ...... so it is priced accordingly ......... the Canon EOS-1DX Mk III and the Nikon D6 are around those prices .......

Sorry I don't see the R5 as a pro sports camera ......... or anything like ......

........ anyway I'm just happy to see something very promising from Nikon ........ just in case I need a ML for the 600E, with a decent sized body and integral grip ........ and a pro battery !!

The R5 has the best AF speed, high frame/data transfer rate you want/look for in a sports camera. What it lacks is the integrated battery grip. If that is not anything like....

It is correct that the D6 and 1D X III have similar prices. But they do have OVFs with big prisms and high speed mirror mechanisms that add to the price...

First off, a professional sports camera has to be able to fire the shutter as soon as it's switched on ......... R5 EVF = 3.5 seconds delay ....... if not allowed to sleep the battery life is poor even with a grip ........ and unless you shade the EVF eye sensor permanently ..... each time the EVF is off .... you press to fire and there is a 3.5 second delay before you see the EVF and can shoot again ........ that would drive protogs nuts!!
 Rolling shutter using electronic shutter is evident in fast action sports (not so noticeable with BIF though) ...... Canon even warns of that in their initial launch .... 

Mind you, if the Nikon Z9 doesn't do those things I wouldn't call it a professional sports camera either ....... my guess is they will adhere to those benchmarks as will Canon when they launch their ML pro sports body.

Lastly, much as the build quality is good on the R5 it is not built anywhere near the standards of the D6 or the IDX III in terms of ruggedness and durability and you pay for that ..... and of course it mustn't have glitchs, bugs or freeze up.

1st off... the R5 is ready to make a photo within 1 second after it is switched on.

The rolling shutter of the R5 is comparatively low, actually. Much lower than with a D6 or a 1D mk III, or A7R III/IV. But just like the D6 and 1D X III, it features a fast mechanical shutter, which shoots... 12 FPS 14 bits 45 MP RAW. Are you saying the D6 and 1D X III are not suitable for sports, now? The R6 does all those things with D6 and 1D mk III resolution, the R5 does it with 45mp.

Messages In This Thread
RE: That Canon link is now linking to the Nikon Z9 sports camera - by Brightcolours - 10-08-2020, 11:29 AM
Question to BC - by davidmanze - 10-09-2020, 09:24 AM