Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vlogging
A trend? Something that's will be paired down to a few legit sources over time? Will it mostly go away? Or are the channels going to be saturated with lots of crap and that will be the norm? What are your thoughts? 

Myself, I don't get it. It's a bunch of nonsense that gets in the way of me finding what I want to watch. Over time, it'll probably become just a handful of corporate entities (think Amazon started as an obscure small on-line place to buy books). 

For example, I want to watch a bike/f1/motogp race highlights, or read a camera review. You have to dig nowadays to find the legit sources. Like NBCSports which is licensed to use the race feed. 

Most of what you find are wannabe's and has-beens who hijack this same footage (though quite a bit of these vlogs disappears quickly due to copyright issues), mutes the sound, and talk their own nonsense over it. Or it's a guy opening his new camera box and talks about the specs (kind of), but doesn't review at all what he put in the title (How good is this new feature). Sometimes the content has nothing to do with the title at all, but you have to watch the ad to find out. I'm sure a lot of these folks are fraudulently making money doing this. 

In fact, when I read who posted it, you'll often see they posted several fraudulent posts at the same time (Stage 10 of the 2020 Giro d'Italia). Each which make you watch an ad before it starts..

It seems a lot of people are getting into this game. I even know some young folks trying it out - like becoming another travel vlogger. While there will be the lucky few, I think for most it will become a dead end street.

That's my vlog for the day. Ha!
An awful lot of Utubers are monetised by advertising and of course many want to benefit from this ......... but there's a simple way round this ....
...... run the "ad-blocker" in your browser ...... and you won't see any !!.....
..... however, you may have to suffer a few "sponsored by Squarespace or the like, plugs" ....... ..... advance the progress bar to avoid them ......
Funnily enough I also watched this sunday's "Moto GP highlights" ...... without any adverts !!

Click on to your browser and set the ad-blocker !!
My only explanation is that the overall market is so saturated that the only place of growth is a niche.
The niche isn't just vlogging but also commercial video applications that didn't really exist a few years ago.
(Prior to Covid) videos from conferences and company events are mainstream now and many retailer websites feature videos of some kind.
Instagram and TikTok also allow videos (up to 60 secs). Some artists picked this up because high Q videos are cheap now.
So there is/was an explosion in demand for all this.

I sort of expect, however, that the market saturation will come way faster than in the photography segment.
I'm still wondering where the hyped 8K fits into all this.
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
(10-20-2020, 09:41 PM)Klaus Wrote: I sort of expect, however, that the market saturation will come way faster than in the photography segment.

Agreed, the problems I mentioned above are really bad when there isn't a "legit" source putting out a video. The legit sources do seem to make it to the top of the search when they exist, fortunately:-) 

I'm a lot of this has to do with regional copywrite laws. For instance, there was a time I could go watch live feed on-line and last hour of coverage later on youtube for bike races. All these pipelines have been blocked in the US. I get the feeling vloggers will meet this same peril. Especially because the only way to get the feeds is to pay for a service now.

8k, IMO, is premature. 4k hasn't even got traction yet. Furthermore, the best part of 4k, on my 65" 4k OLED tv, which is good size in the room it's in, is HDR. That's when they make good use of it too. In general, HD quality is hard to tell 4k from 1080 at this size and as close as you would reasonably be viewing

I think by the time 4k is 100% the norm, the next step up will be 16 or 32k and even a bigger color space.
(10-21-2020, 12:39 AM)mike Wrote:
(10-20-2020, 09:41 PM)Klaus Wrote: I sort of expect, however, that the market saturation will come way faster than in the photography segment.

Agreed, the problems I mentioned above are really bad when there isn't a "legit" source putting out a video. The legit sources do seem to make it to the top of the search when they exist, fortunately:-) 

I'm a lot of this has to do with regional copywrite laws. For instance, there was a time I could go watch live feed on-line and last hour of coverage later on youtube for bike races. All these pipelines have been blocked in the US. I get the feeling vloggers will meet this same peril. Especially because the only way to get the feeds is to pay for a service now.

8k, IMO, is premature. 4k hasn't even got traction yet. Furthermore, the best part of 4k, on my 65" 4k OLED tv, which is good size in the room it's in, is HDR. That's when they make good use of it too. In general, HD quality is hard to tell 4k from 1080 at this size and as close as you would reasonably be viewing

I think by the time 4k is 100% the norm, the next step up will be 16 or 32k and even a bigger color space.

Yeah, most of the sport feeds now require subscribing to ...... F1 and moto GP ..... shame .. ....... fortunately I can still watch most boxing from the "World boxing archive" site ..... a day after the match .......
   someone out there is turning the screw .......