Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sample gallery - Canon RF 100-500mm f/4.5-7.1 USM L IS
(11-10-2020, 10:01 PM)Klaus Wrote: So the manual doesn't state anything regarding incompatibilities.

A malfunctioning spot AF is not a big deal - if you know it. I reckon spot AF just doesn't work reliably with an f/7.1 aperture. On Sony cameras, the AF switches to a broader AF field, if it has issues. The EOS R sticks to the setting.

Note that the spot AF works nicely in lab conditions.

Yesterday I shot another set of 50 images mostly at 500mm. Most images were motion blurred (surfers) - which was my fault (in combination with the f/7.1 aperture) because the shutter speed was not sufficient. There was at least one shot which was sharp - albeit not usable because the composition was s**t.

One conclusion is certainly that it isn't a sports lens at f/7.1 - you just end with very high ISOs in such cases.

Well, time to get a different camera in that case. Smile

That's based on what I have seen from R5s and R6s, with this lens, and a bunch of other lenses, including the 600 F/11 and 800 F/11 ....

Kind regards, Wim
Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....
How can a different camera help with the need for high ISO on an f/7.1 lens for sports photography?

That's fake news in my book.

This discussion is reaching bizarre levels - the EOS R is just 2y years old, still part of the current lineup and you folks are suggesting that I shall give up on it because the spot AF performance is poor on a single lens. And that's after repeated claims by BC that Dual-Pixel AF is the best thing ever since sliced bread. I mean seriously ...
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
Using high shutter speeds I finally got sharp results at 500mm.

I think the MTFs will be good enough even for the fanboys.

(11-10-2020, 10:37 PM)Klaus Wrote: How can a different camera help with the need for high ISO on an f/7.1 lens for sports photography?

This discussion is reaching bizarre levels - the EOS R is just 2y years old, still part of the current lineup and you folks are suggesting that I shall give up on it because the spot AF performance is poor on a single lens. And that's after repeated claims by BC that Dual-Pixel AF is the best thing ever since sliced bread. I mean seriously ...
IBIS, Klaus, IBIS ...
(11-11-2020, 06:44 AM)Klaus Wrote: Using high shutter speeds I finally got sharp results at 500mm.
See? IBIS would have helped Smile.

Kind regards, Wim
Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....
I guess there will be a scathing paragraph or two in the intro... or the conclusion.
(11-12-2020, 03:03 AM)wim Wrote: See? IBIS would have helped Smile.

Kind regards, Wim

Enlighten me, please: why does it need IBIS nowadays to adress an issue that IS solved decades ago?
Editor
opticallimits.com

(11-12-2020, 08:46 AM)mst Wrote:
(11-12-2020, 03:03 AM)wim Wrote: See? IBIS would have helped Smile.

Kind regards, Wim

Enlighten me, please: why does it need IBIS nowadays to adress an issue that IS solved decades ago?
Hi Marcus,

Smile
It was meant jokingly. There was only one person indicating the replacement of the camera after all, and that was me Smile.

However, from the pictures i have seen so far, the R5 and R6 are a step or 2 up from the R, and I do think the RF 100-500 Klaus is testing may not be entirely up to scratch.

Kind regards, Wim
(11-10-2020, 10:37 PM)Klaus Wrote: How can a different camera help with the need for high ISO on an f/7.1 lens for sports photography?

To be frank, you are almost trolling there.

Facts:
You come across an issue (seemingly with IS movement). You also mention an issue with AF in a certain mode. I try to figure out from a distance what is going on, so I ask if you have tried with a different camera to see if the results will be different. 

Is that about high ISO and f7.1? No, THAT is fake news.
Perhaps that was not directed at my post, but it felt like you are not arguing fairly.
Anyway, f7.1 is only 1/3rd of a stop slower than f6.3, and I recall a certain "Sports" lens from Sigma...
The R6 does well with higher ISO, and one could do sports with such a lens. However, most sports shooters like to shoot with faster prime lenses.

I am not suggesting anything, other than try to figure out what is actually going on. Like, how are the results with an R6 with the same lens, doing the same thing?

It feels rather disingenuous from you when you say  "And that's after repeated claims by BC that Dual-Pixel AF is the best thing ever since sliced bread. I mean seriously ...". I am pretty sure you are not posting video samples.
(11-12-2020, 01:19 PM)Brightcolours Wrote:

To be frank, you are almost trolling there.

Facts:
You come across an issue (seemingly with IS movement). You also mention an issue with AF in a certain mode. I try to figure out from a distance what is going on, so I ask if you have tried with a different camera to see if the results will be different. 

Is that about high ISO and f7.1? No, THAT is fake news.
Perhaps that was not directed at my post, but it felt like you are not arguing fairly.
Anyway, f7.1 is only 1/3rd of a stop slower than f6.3, and I recall a certain "Sports" lens from Sigma...
The R6 does well with higher ISO, and one could do sports with such a lens. However, most sports shooters like to shoot with faster prime lenses.

I am not suggesting anything, other than try to figure out what is actually going on. Like, how are the results with an R6 with the same lens, doing the same thing?

It feels rather disingenuous from you when you say  "And that's after repeated claims by BC that Dual-Pixel AF is the best thing ever since sliced bread. I mean seriously ...". I am pretty sure you are not posting video samples.

Give it a rest with more of this "trolling" s***t  BC !! ...