Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
About new forum registrations
Due to the number of spam accounts, I've decided to activate accounts manually.

This may take a day or so - and I may decide not to activate accounts at all dependent on the kind of email address used for the registration (an email address with numbers in them is e.g. suspicious).
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
Hmmm, mine has numbers in it. R______Y_###
(02-15-2021, 07:25 PM)Klaus Wrote: Due to the number of spam accounts, I've decided to activate accounts manually.

This may take a day or so - and I may decide not to activate accounts at all dependent on the kind of email address used for the registration (an email address with numbers in them is e.g. suspicious).

Not necessarily if it is a gmail account.

Assuming you can't use the latest versions of reCaptcha, I'd suggest Email Hippo, which we have used quite successfully in the past, until we finally could upgrade to the latest version of the Invision forum software (problems with conversion and upgrade due to the fact that we started with 1.2.1 16 years ago, fixed in 4.5.x).

Basically, we used Google, checked the ip-address, and used email Hippo.

You could have a look at it, up to I think 10 a week or a day you may check for free.

HTH, kind regards, Wim

P.S.: Our subscription still runs till the end of October and we are not using it anymore. If you'd like, you are welcome to use it, just PM me.
Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....
The problem with the CAPTCHA is - the stylesheet has killed it (we used an off-the-shelf template and adjusted it).

Technically, there is an anti-spam mechanism in MyBB but it's not effective really ...

I know that many use some "fake" accounts for memberships just to avoid spam in their primary account. However, it seems as if 9 out of 10 registrations are spam - and half of them are gmail.

(02-15-2021, 09:13 PM)Klaus Wrote: However, it seems as if 9 out of 10 registrations are spam - and half of them are gmail.

Which may suggest that these are not bots, but actual people. Should it be a good idea add a trial period for new users, so their initial posts are not shown right-away? This way, they will need to be approved first. I have seen this working on several boards.
You just can't have too many lenses...
I could do many things. But time is the fire in which I burn. :-)

(02-16-2021, 07:38 AM)Klaus Wrote: I could do many things. But time is the fire in which I burn. :-)

I love that sentence. May I borrow it? Smile
(02-16-2021, 01:22 PM)Rover Wrote:
(02-16-2021, 07:38 AM)Klaus Wrote: I could do many things. But time is the fire in which I burn. :-)

I love that sentence. May I borrow it? Smile

https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/4...aprils-day
Star Trek 7

I'm curious if you have noticed which country most of the 'fake' registrations are originating. This can be readily determined from their ips. Curious if these guys are using vpns or their native point of origin.