Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DXO PureRAW
(05-04-2021, 03:28 PM)toni-a Wrote: Well Dave, although this software is a game changer when it comes to noise, if your computer isn't fast  enough, it's a pain to use: expect  time anywhere between 5 minutes and as long as 20 minutes maybe more per photo, not really practical if you have many photos unless you don't mind leaving your computer editing overnight...

My computer is fairly reasonable ...... SSD ... processor  windows score 7.1 ........ 1 Gb graphics card 7.8 ... 16Gbs of RAM  7.8 ....... processor 7.6 ......  3.6 Ghz ...... the only hang up is the USB 3 sockets corrupt ..... apparently Gigabite motherboard had a FW update that stopped them from working ... Gigabite offered a corrective FW that never appeared !

you guys know more about computer speeds than I ...... does it sound fast enough ??
You can put a USB 3 card in your computer, now that the integrated ports are not functional.

You do not need this software to convert all your RAW files, just when you have a special case that needs its special treatment, for a quality print? So, the speed does not have to be that high. Just make a cup of tea while you wait for the image.

I have no idea what those windows score numbers mean. I'd just turn it into a hackintosh, personally ;-)
(05-04-2021, 04:39 PM)davidmanze Wrote:
(05-04-2021, 03:28 PM)toni-a Wrote: Well Dave, although this software is a game changer when it comes to noise, if your computer isn't fast  enough, it's a pain to use: expect  time anywhere between 5 minutes and as long as 20 minutes maybe more per photo, not really practical if you have many photos unless you don't mind leaving your computer editing overnight...

My computer is fairly reasonable ...... SSD ... processor  windows score 7.1 ........ 1 Gb graphics card 7.8 ... 16Gbs of RAM  7.8 ....... processor 7.6 ......  3.6 Ghz ...... the only hang up is the USB 3 sockets corrupt ..... apparently Gigabite motherboard had a FW update that stopped them from working ... Gigabite offered a corrective FW that never appeared !

you guys know more about computer speeds than I ...... does it sound fast enough ??
No idea anymore with Windows 7 systems. Microsoft stopped with those statistics after Win 7.

Of course, processors have advanced quite a bit since then too.

Personally I am running a big workstation, with Windows 10 Workstation Pro, which was built to my own specs, to last a long time and absolutely never overheat, with the best parts available, about 2 years ago. It was faster than anything I had ever used before, but there is nothing that becomes the norm as quickly as computer speed. Officially, I could overclock it without problems by a factor 2 almost, but I prefer for it to last the 5 years I need for my tax write-off Smile.

The biggest advantage is that I can run 4 4K screens if I want to (my 3 screens of which 1 is 4K is good enough for me right now), many applications simultaneously, which is really useful, especially with 3 screens, without it breaking out a sweat.

I had a Win 7/Win 8/Linux machine before this one, off-the shelf high speed 7-series processor, while I always had custom-built machines before that (used to build them myself, but gave up on that about 8 or 9 years ago due to lack of time, just do occasional hardware tweaks if and when required). As a result, however, I will never buy another off-the-shelf desktop PC ever again. The parts just don't last Smile. If you're happy to run it until warranty gives out, that's fine, but I use my machine 12 to 24 hours a day, so it was worth the investment.

However, I'd honestly suggest that if your machine is still up-to-date with it comes to drivers for Win 10, do yourself a favour and move on from Win 7. The risk is just not worth it. Just get Classic Start Menu if you want a Win 7 look-and-feel - it is free, and works extremely well. Been using it for years now Smile.

Kind regards, Wim
Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....
(05-04-2021, 08:26 PM)wim Wrote:
(05-04-2021, 04:39 PM)davidmanze Wrote:

No idea anymore with Windows 7 systems. Microsoft stopped with those statistics after Win 7.

Of course, processors have advanced quite a bit since then too.

Personally I am running a big workstation, with Windows 10 Workstation Pro, which was built to my own specs, to last a long time and absolutely never overheat, with the best parts available, about 2 years ago. It was faster than anything I had ever used before, but there is nothing that becomes the norm as quickly as computer speed. Officially, I could overclock it without problems by a factor 2 almost, but I prefer for it to last the 5 years I need for my tax write-off Smile.

The biggest advantage is that I can run 4 4K screens if I want to (my 3 screens of which 1 is 4K is good enough for me right now), many applications simultaneously, which is really useful, especially with 3 screens, without it breaking out a sweat.

I had a Win 7/Win 8/Linux machine before this one, off-the shelf high speed 7-series processor, while I always had custom-built machines before that (used to build them myself, but gave up on that about 8 or 9 years ago due to lack of time, just do occasional hardware tweaks if and when required). As a result, however, I will never buy another off-the-shelf desktop PC ever again. The parts just don't last Smile. If you're happy to run it until warranty gives out, that's fine, but I use my machine 12 to 24 hours a day, so it was worth the investment.

However, I'd honestly suggest that if your machine is still up-to-date with it comes to drivers for Win 10, do yourself a favour and move on from Win 7. The risk is just not worth it. Just get Classic Start Menu if you want a Win 7 look-and-feel - it is free, and works extremely well. Been using it for years now Smile.

Kind regards, Wim

One of the things that put me off Windows 10 is it's commercial persona when ever I have used someone else's computer ....... I hated using it !! ....... so if I went 10 I would need that Classic start .....

I bought the computer used with a brand new Samsung 28" TV for 500 euros ..... it's a home assembled gaming computer ..... I add 8 Gb of RAM, it weighs two tons in a huge Kandalf case ....... the guy was obviously into big fin/ liquid cooled video cards, flashing lights and multi fans .......
  Sometime back I knew quite a few computer buffs who would put me on track if I had a problem, which I used to have regularly,  these days I hardly know anyone with a computer, let alone a tower; just a few with ipads ......
 As the computer has never done anything untoward and always works fine I've never had the incentive or desire or need to fiddle with it ....... do you see now how tempting it is to do nothing ?? (I do de-dust it occasionally)
 I think I will live with it as is for the moment and look later to find one that has all I need with working USB 3 ....... and forgo the DXO pure RAW ...... which frankly I don't need as I shoot low ISO anyway.

btw .......  Just to add to your horrors .... apart from service pack 1, I have never had one windows update .......

........  so what's changed all of a sudden that I'm risking ??
(05-05-2021, 08:48 AM)davidmanze Wrote:  ........  so what's changed all of a sudden that I'm risking ??

You risk your computer getting hijacked/infected/taken hostage by a boat-load of discovered security flaws that have been left unpatched since Windows 7 update support was basically dropped. Of course, using Windows 10 does not make you immune to new types of attacks, but it limits the scope of discovered flaws quite a bit.

I am at risk using my macs too, as this guy from Microsoft security support keeps calling me to tell me that my computer is infected. Regrettably I never find out what to do about it, as I am quite allergic to his thick Indian/Pakistani accent/dialect so I hang up before they can help me.

As I wrote above, you can simply put in a USB3 card in your computer like this:
https://www.amazon.fr/Cuifati-Adaptateur...WNrPXRydWU=

That will bypass your firmware-caused lack of USB 3-ness.
(05-05-2021, 09:39 AM)Brightcolours Wrote:
(05-05-2021, 08:48 AM)davidmanze Wrote:  ........  so what's changed all of a sudden that I'm risking ??

You risk your computer getting hijacked/infected/taken hostage by a boat-load of discovered security flaws that have been left unpatched since Windows 7 update support was basically dropped. Of course, using Windows 10 does not make you immune to new types of attacks, but it limits the scope of discovered flaws quite a bit.

@David: this. Plus the fact that Win 7 has been around for so long, that many ways have been discovered to hack it, badly.
You visit one single wrong site, by accident, and that's it. I do hope you create backups often and store them disconnected from your PC.

Quote:I am at risk using my macs too, as this guy from Microsoft security support keeps calling me to tell me that my computer is infected. Regrettably I never find out what to do about it, as I am quite allergic to his thick Indian/Pakistani accent/dialect so I hang up before they can help me.

@BC: I assume that was tongue-in-cheek, as you have a Mac, and as that is a well-known scam.
Only ever had one call like that, immediately broke the connection, and blocked these calls Smile. They always want to take over your PC. And once that is doen, all heell breaks loose ....

Quote:As I wrote above, you can simply put in a USB3 card in your computer like this:

@David: and that is a good idea too Smile.

Kind regards, Wim
Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....

I am at risk using my macs too, as this guy from Microsoft security support keeps calling me to tell me that my computer is infected. Regrettably I never find out what to do about it, as I am quite allergic to his thick Indian/Pakistani accent/dialect so I hang up before they can help me.

Thanks for that BC ...... your such a good source of stuff Smile

Will it just plug in to my Gigabite motherboard ??

If so I will certainly go for that ....... I sit here finger poised over the buy now button .......... if I got USB 3 to work I would consider moving up to Windows 10 ....... but don't hold me to it ..... Smile
(05-05-2021, 10:01 AM)davidmanze Wrote:

Thanks for that BC ...... your such a good source of stuff Smile

Will it just plug in to my Gigabite motherboard ??

If so I will certainly go for that !!

It should ....
But do update to Win 10 please. I'd hate to see you lose anything, or worse, everything.

BTW, I do assume you use a good security suite, to protect your PC from virus attacks and other stuff?

If not yet, I'd recommend ZoneAlarm Security Suite. IMO there isn't anything better currently.

HTH, kind regards, Wim

P.S.: there is a free tool from Microsoft which will allow you to check if your PC is compatible with Win 10.
Starting point fro this may be: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows...patibility
If your computer has a free PCI-e slot available, it should indeed just slot in.
(05-05-2021, 10:18 AM)Brightcolours Wrote: If your computer has a free PCI-e slot available, it should indeed just slot in.

I will have to pull out the PC and have a look ....... if there's an empty PCI-e slot it's worth the gamble ...... the existing USB 3 sockets start transferring for a short while and then the progress bar shows things slow to a halt !!