• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Viltrox AF lenses for Z mount

• Viltrox AF 24mm f/1.8 Z

• Viltrox AF 35mm f/1.8 Z

• Viltrox AF 50mm f/1.8 Z

• Viltrox AF 23mm f/1.4 Z

• Viltrox AF 33mm f/1.4 Z

• Viltrox AF 56mm f/1.4 Z
So Viltrox is the "biggest" third-party supplier of AF lenses for Z mount. Funny.
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
The Viltrox is the "biggest" supplier of AF APS-C lenses for Z mount. Funny.
As Thom Hogan keeps repeating it, it appears that Nikon has stopped taking APS-C seriously since their first FF cameras.
And now they are doing the same mistake with the Z system... Oh well.
--Florent

Flickr gallery
(05-17-2021, 10:31 AM)thxbb12 Wrote: As Thom Hogan keeps repeating it, it appears that Nikon has stopped taking APS-C seriously since their first FF cameras.
And now they are  "making"  the same mistake with the Z system... Oh well.

Are they making such a mistake ??  ...... Nikon knows that they have to produce a cutting edge FF ML body ASAP ..... and most of their resources are going into that ........ apparently they have raised a $100 million dollars to do it .....

We have seen Sony's constantly updated APSc bodies with almost indiscernible differences between them, most of which could have whittled down to two or three models ..... Nikon must not go down that path before they can match the competition ....... 

Perhaps Thom is good at clicking his fingers !!
(05-17-2021, 11:40 AM)davidmanze Wrote:
(05-17-2021, 10:31 AM)thxbb12 Wrote: As Thom Hogan keeps repeating it, it appears that Nikon has stopped taking APS-C seriously since their first FF cameras.

Are they making such a mistake ??  ...... Nikon knows that they have to produce a cutting edge FF ML body ASAP ..... and most of their resources are going into that ........ apparently they have raised a $100 million dollars to do it .....

We have seen Sony's constantly updated APSc bodies with almost indiscernible differences between them, most of which could have whittled down to two or three models ..... Nikon must not go down that path before they can match the competition ....... 

https://bythom.com/newsviews/back-of-the...-math.html
--Florent

Flickr gallery
(05-17-2021, 03:32 PM)thxbb12 Wrote:
(05-17-2021, 11:40 AM)davidmanze Wrote:

https://bythom.com/newsviews/back-of-the...-math.html

Nikon did nicely selling DX F mount DSLRs in spite of not having that many DX lenses, around twenty ..... for their current DX ML offering the Z50 they have two and one to come .... and I don't see Nikon producing more than the odd DX lens here or there ....... are they missing out or are they going to benefit from selling FX glass to mount on DX bodies ?? .....

.........  I think the most profitable area for Nikon is FX and for that matter Canon and Sony ...... with a smattering of budget APSc bodies .... and probably TPMs cashing in on the lack of lenses for them ........

.... maybe the real question is ...... 

........ are Fuji making a mistake staying with APSc  ..... ??

....... and who's missing the biggest trick ??
Fuji does not sell much, marketshare wise. Most APS-C camera buyers do not buy many lenses (most are also nitwits concerning camera/lens workings/understanding). Maybe the few Fuji buyers are an exception there?
But there is a segment of buyers that DO buy some lenses apart from the kit lens zooms, and of that segment they will lose some customers due to the lack of any APS-C lenses apart from the 2 zooms.
Canon's 11-22mm, 22mm f2 and 32mm f1.4 lenses are quite popular among EOS M shooters, for instance.

The other thing that stands out concerning Nikon's APS-C Z offering: it is big. Is big appreciated by the APS-C+kitlens buying segment?

So I guess Thom has a point, somewhere.
(05-18-2021, 07:49 AM)Brightcolours Wrote: Fuji does not sell much, marketshare wise. Most APS-C camera buyers do not buy many lenses (most are also nitwits concerning camera/lens workings/understanding). Maybe the few Fuji buyers are an exception there?
But there is a segment of buyers that DO buy some lenses apart from the kit lens zooms, and of that segment they will lose some customers due to the lack of any APS-C lenses apart from the 2 zooms.
Canon's 11-22mm, 22mm f2 and 32mm f1.4 lenses are quite popular among EOS M shooters, for instance.

The other thing that stands out concerning Nikon's APS-C Z offering: it is big. Is big appreciated by the APS-C+kitlens buying segment?

So I guess Thom has a point, somewhere.

I'm sure Nikon will be evaluating DX Z mount lens sales as things progress .... but as you say most DX owners stick with the basic kit lenses .......  it took many years before Nikon had a range of DX glass ........ 

I know it's not a micro Sony but I thought the Z50 was quite dinky actually ...... and ten times better in the hand ........

Well Thom has some sort of point ....... but it's strange that both Canon and Nikon adopted similar DX lens policies !!!!!!
(05-18-2021, 09:53 AM)davidmanze Wrote:     I'm sure Nikon will be evaluating DX Z mount lens sales as things progress .... but as you say most DX owners stick with the basic kit lenses .......  it took many years before Nikon had a range of DX glass ........ 

I know it's not a micro Sony but I thought the Z50 was quite dinky actually ...... and ten times better in the hand ........

Well Thom has some sort of point ....... but it's strange that both Canon and Nikon adopted similar DX lens policies !!!!!!

Nikon only did "DX" bodies for years and years, leaving the whole FF game to Canon. They did the kit lens (18-70mm), higher end UWA zoom (10-24mm) and  standard zoom (17-55mm f2.8) pretty early on, leaving the FF portrait primes and 70-200mm f2.8 to fill in the APS-C void. The 35mm f1.8 DX followed later. Nikon seemed to rely on brand loyalty for a long time, there.

Canon has no DX policy, DX is a Nikon thing ;-)

Canon introduced the 22mm f2 for EOS M right at the start, giving it a 35mm prime FF equivalent right away, that made sense. I agree that they were a bit slow introducing the 32mm f1.4 (50mm FF equivalent). 

Whether/when Canon may introduce an RF mount APS-C camera and which lenses they will introduce in that event, remains to be seen. But Nikon has introduced that Z mount APS-C camera 1 1/2 years ago, and still only offers 2 kit zoomlenses. That is very baren...
(05-18-2021, 10:54 AM)Brightcolours Wrote:
(05-18-2021, 09:53 AM)davidmanze Wrote:     I'm sure Nikon will be evaluating DX Z mount lens sales as things progress .... but as you say most DX owners stick with the basic kit lenses .......  it took many years before Nikon had a range of DX glass ........ 

Nikon only did "DX" bodies for years and years, leaving the whole FF game to Canon. They did the kit lens (18-70mm), higher end UWA zoom (10-24mm) and  standard zoom (17-55mm f2.8) pretty early on, leaving the FF portrait primes and 70-200mm f2.8 to fill in the APS-C void. The 35mm f1.8 DX followed later. Nikon seemed to rely on brand loyalty for a long time, there.

Canon has no DX policy, DX is a Nikon thing ;-)

Canon introduced the 22mm f2 for EOS M right at the start, giving it a 35mm prime FF equivalent right away, that made sense. I agree that they were a bit slow introducing the 32mm f1.4 (50mm FF equivalent). 

Whether/when Canon may introduce an RF mount APS-C camera and which lenses they will introduce in that event, remains to be seen. But Nikon has introduced that Z mount APS-C camera 1 1/2 years ago, and still only offers 2 kit zoom lenses. That is very baren...

Barren indeed !! ...... there is a 18-140mm on the way apparently plus the F mount glass via adapters (err well)) ....... which is why I think Nikon has other ideas about camera schedules including the Z9 (their queen bee).

btw... the generic DX term.