Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Viltrox AF lenses for Z mount
(05-19-2021, 05:54 AM)Rover Wrote: Lack of IBIS in the Z50 is an example of why the DX Z subsystem is so lackluster in my opinion. IBIS is a great advantage (also as in a trump card in the brand competition) so omitting it is pretty inexplicable.

There is an explanation - price. Z50 offers very decent double kit, which is optically stabilized, which absolutely obliterates Canon M, Fujifilm X, and Sony E when it comes to price-to-performance ratio for entry-level users. I would argue that the only other system, that is competitive in this regard, is Olympus.

Also, it took Fuji and Sony many years before they bring IBIS to their APS-C mirorrless cameras.

The good news is that Viltrox lenses work well on APS-C cameras, so users have affordable options for fast primes. FTZ provides even more options, and the Nikkor S-line, while expensive and, will totally dominate anything from Fujifilm or Canon M, because most FF lenses offer better corners on APS-C than native APS-C lenses themselves.
You just can't have too many lenses...
(05-19-2021, 05:28 PM)faint Wrote:
(05-19-2021, 05:54 AM)Rover Wrote: Lack of IBIS in the Z50 is an example of why the DX Z subsystem is so lackluster in my opinion. IBIS is a great advantage (also as in a trump card in the brand competition) so omitting it is pretty inexplicable.

There is an explanation - price. Z50 offers very decent double kit, which is optically stabilized, which absolutely obliterates Canon M, Fujifilm X, and Sony E when it comes to price-to-performance ratio for entry-level users. I would argue that the only other system, that is competitive in this regard, is Olympus.

Also, it took Fuji and Sony many years before they bring IBIS to their APS-C mirorrless cameras.

The good news is that Viltrox lenses work well on APS-C cameras, so users have affordable options for fast primes. FTZ provides even more options, and the Nikkor S-line, while expensive and, will totally dominate anything from Fujifilm or Canon M, because most FF lenses offer better corners on APS-C than native APS-C lenses themselves.

It's true that the Z50 double kit is an awesome value.
But then you're stuck with the only 2 lenses for the system.
If I were looking for an APS-C camera, I'd not consider the Z50 (or anything Nikon) for the fact that all other lenses would be much larger than they could be, defeating the purpose of APS-C in the first place.
Yes, for instance I could get the Nikkor Z 35mm f1.8. But I could also get the Fuji 35mm f1.4 which is almost half the size and half the weight while being faster, so no thank you. Not interested.

I suspect I'm not the only one in this boat.
--Florent

Flickr gallery
Adaptability is a big draw for the Z mount. You can even adapt E mount lenses, they say, and stuff like Canon EF is easy as pie. Smile
Otherwise, for someone who doesn't want to go FF, systems like Fuji X make more sense as all lenses are purpose-built for APS-C.
(05-19-2021, 07:52 PM)Rover Wrote: Adaptability is a big draw for the Z mount. You can even adapt E mount lenses, they say, and stuff like Canon EF is easy as pie. Smile
Otherwise, for someone who doesn't want to go FF, systems like Fuji X make more sense as all lenses are purpose-built for APS-C.

Yet it makes little sense. E-mount lenses, yet no A7xyz? Or EF lenses but go for Z instead of RF? You can't adapt all F-mount lenses even.
(05-19-2021, 08:04 PM)Brightcolours Wrote:
(05-19-2021, 07:52 PM)Rover Wrote: Adaptability is a big draw for the Z mount. You can even adapt E mount lenses, they say, and stuff like Canon EF is easy as pie. Smile

Yet it makes little sense. E-mount lenses, yet no A7xyz? Or EF lenses but go for Z instead of RF? You can't adapt all F-mount lenses even.

The change from Nikon's standard DSLR battery is also another inconvenience  ........ it's around 1150 mah instead of the standard 1900 mah .... so battery life isn't good either, your D500 /D850 ones that you already have, serve for nothing and your left ordering batteries which only fit one camera.

So what is it's strength ??  ....... price ..... in the singular!! ....

....... if your looking for one of the cheapest ready to shoot MLCs with a fold down forward facing rear screen for general non demanding shooting of video and stills and your not bothered by the telephoto end ....... 690 euros will get you exactly that, with the 16-50mm, grey market of course !! .......
....... it's difficult to imagine how that could be possible ....... probably an ideal wive's camera for shooting the kids occasionally ........

I can't see Z50 owners adapting lenses on this body .......
The batteries are small to fit the slim body... just like it is (or was) the case with the lower-end DX (4-digit) Nikon DSLRs.

Yes, adaptability as described above is a big bonus, but that is not Nikon exclusive and applies to almost any mirrorless system out there.

And when it comes to price/performance ratio: I don't see anything exciting in the Z50 in this regard. If I had a given amount of money and wanted to get the best kit for it, chances are I'd certainly not end up with a Z50, but a Fuji or MFT set instead, offering a wider choice of lens options and presumably better kit lenses anyway.
Editor
opticallimits.com

(05-20-2021, 09:50 AM)mst Wrote: The batteries are small to fit the slim body... just like it is (or was) the case with the lower-end DX (4-digit) Nikon DSLRs.

Yes, adaptability as described above is a big bonus, but that is not Nikon exclusive and applies to almost any mirrorless system out there.

And when it comes to price/performance ratio: I don't see anything exciting in the Z50 in this regard. If I had a given amount of money and wanted to get the best kit for it, chances are I'd certainly not end up with a Z50, but a Fuji or MFT set instead, offering a wider choice of lens options and presumably better kit lenses anyway.

The batteries are small to fit the slim body... just like it is (or was) the case with the lower-end DX (4-digit) Nikon DSLRs.

Well yeah, but ........ some traditions we would be better without !!
So you want the tradition of small slim mirrorless bodies to be gone? ;-)
(05-20-2021, 03:28 PM)Brightcolours Wrote: So you want the tradition of small slim mirror-less bodies to be gone? ;-)

What was the biggest problem with earlier Sony A7 ML cameras ?? ........ the piddly battery !! ...... so they put in a bigger one ......... did anybody complain ....... 

......... nobody !! ........... did anybody cheer ??....

......... everybody !! ............
I don't remember any complaints about the battery life of D3x00 or D5x00 users Wink Or Z50 users... other than the general complaint, that battery life with any ML camera is way shorter than with a DSLR (naturally).

There is simply no space in the Z50 body to hold an EN-EL15 battery.

Besides: "The change from Nikon's standard DSLR battery is also another inconvenience"... it's an inconvenience you have with any single-digit Nikon DSLR since the D1, too Wink
Editor
opticallimits.com