Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Leitz Phone 1 announced
Then why get excited about a " 1"-sensor " at all, though? Or the disappointment with the iPhone 12 Pro UWA corner performance?
Dunno, these reactions on phone cameras appear to swerve all over the place.

I don't take phones as cameras serious. I do understand higher MP sensors, specifically for cropping ("zooming") purposes. This Sharp does not have a higher MP sensor, though.
I do understand the latest trend in offering more than 1 camera for different FOVs, this Sharp does not offer that though.
I do understand the advantages of bigger sensors (more shallow DOF possible) but this Sharp does not offer that.
This Sharp appears to use the "the sensor is a bit bigger" argument and the Leica reference to make it seem able to be used more seriously, when it is not really able to.
I only see this phone as a nice UWA 1'' camera that's truly pocketable.
If one shoots mostly landscapes, then this phone will provide noticeably better IQ than any other phones.
--Florent

Flickr gallery
I don't see the IQ:
https://m-cdn.phonearena.com/images/arti...MG0320.jpg
The blue sky's colournoise reduced noise tells on the heavy NR done to it, and explains the rather desaturated muddy greens a bit.

Same here, noise and NR, with oversharpened results to bring back some punch/detail?
https://m-cdn.phonearena.com/images/arti...MG0325.jpg
To me these seem better than what you get from phones with smaller sensors.
Also, these are processed jpegs, it would be interesting to see what the raw files look like.
--Florent

Flickr gallery
Seriously? I haven't seen such bad images from good light in a long time, from phones. And I have never looked at phone RAWs.
...... the image looks processed and poor, especially in the sky  ........

How, with such a wide range of camera gear that we all possess, including some fine glass, are we looking at images from a 1,700 dollar telephone which is producing really mediocre images ?? ....... and think anything good about it ??

....... the world has gone mobile phone crazy ......... 

.......... amendment: .......... the world has gone crazy full stop !!
It reminds me of the time where Panasonic compact and bridge cameras were constantly praised, where to anyone sane it was so obvious the image quality was just plain bad due to the heavy and bad NR applied (yeah, that was in a time where NR was a new thing), and colour noise tests showed "low noise". Or (to a lesser extent) the time when the Nikon D40 was touted to be the best thing since sliced bread, where in reality it was nothing special in any way (just a heavily feature stripped DSLR using the by then very ageing 6mp Sony CCD).
(06-22-2021, 08:38 AM)Brightcolours Wrote: It reminds me of the time where Panasonic compact and bridge cameras were constantly praised, where to anyone sane it was so obvious the image quality was just plain bad due to the heavy and bad NR applied (yeah, that was in a time where NR was a new thing), and colour noise tests showed "low noise". Or (to a lesser extent) the time when the Nikon D40 was touted to be the best thing since sliced bread, where in reality it was nothing special in any way (just a heavily feature stripped DSLR using the by then very ageing 6mp Sony CCD).

Come on, Ken Rockwell(SM.)(TM.) said that D40 is the only camera one would ever need. Not sure why he's hoarded gear worth maybe $500K in this case, including some of the most expensive cameras and lenses, though. The Canon 50/1.0L wouldn't fit his favourite D40... would it? Big Grin