Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nikon Z fc and Z 28mm f/2.8 SE announced
(06-30-2021, 07:55 PM)Rover Wrote: Sheesh... don't get all upset at each other, folks. Smile
Still, I'm not sure how relevant a camera's appearance is, so long as the operation is not impacted by the poor design decisions like hard to reach controls or awkward to hold grips. Smile

It's relevant to some and not to others obviously ...... there is no defiinitiive answer!

Really, what matters is what the owners think and they like the Df for all it's quirks ....... the poor grip being one of them ....... but it still remains one of the cameras that Nikonites hang on to ...... 

..... I'm still struggling to understand why the best looking DSLR ever is getting so much flack ? ........ just look at the damned thing ..... it's drop dead gorgeous !! ....(chrome version)
l
   ..... and what's more apparently you can take great pictures with it ..... and when it finally dies all is not lost ........ you can still look at it ...... 

Who would want to look at a dead 6D Mk whatever ...... really ?? ..... nah, bin it !! Smile
Tastes differ, and to me, the Df doesn't look all that enticing. It's struggling too much to be "retro" while sacrificing function to form in some areas.
Something like a 6D is utilitarian, of course, but at least it's optimized for function.
(07-01-2021, 08:59 AM)Rover Wrote: Tastes differ, and to me, the Df doesn't look all that enticing. It's struggling too much to be "retro" while sacrificing function to form in some areas.
Something like a 6D is utilitarian, of course, but at least it's optimized for function.

---- The camera store hands on first review of the Zfc ........ 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4p2_Mr_MEk
... video reviews. *sigh*
Anyway, I think Zfc looks better than the Df, not nearly as overwrought, though I'm still not sure it would be anywhere near the top of the list should I want to switch to ML. The very poor lens selection in the DX Z system would be as big a dealbreaker as any. No handgrip to speak of is also disconcerting, especially for someone to use it with larger Z mount lenses.
At least the lack of grip makes it more like a film era SLR ;-)
To me the deal breaker is the lack of dedicated APS-C lenses.
What Nikon needs to do is to address this lack of APS-C lenses, and rather quickly.
--Florent

Flickr gallery
No stuff, Sherlock. A dedicated UWA would have been the first order, I would think, but it looks like they had different priorities... or plainly not enough time. This Zfc sure did look like it just sprang out of nowhere.
A far more knowledgable and experienced "Patricksmith" (32) a Nikon shooting photo jounalist in the US who has rubbed shoulders with the likes of Mosse Peterson etc. ........ gives his ideas on the DF/ D4 sensor  
  In short someone who knows what he is talking about !!

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4...t-65284909

His experience with the D4 sensor seems somewhat different to your's BC .......

A couple of posts later in the same thread he also speaks of B+H's huge stock of Nikon as well as other makes of old stock cameras that are struggling to sell which is quite interesting ....

his post starts:

"I’ve only ever bought one Df, I buy and sell used gear on the side. It was about a year or two ago and I paid $1050 and sold it soon after for $1350"

Let's keep soul in photography .........
What about his experience is "somewhat different" from mine? I have no experience with that camera at all, and just look at the facts compiled by photons to photos-guy. The D4/Df sensor is not that amazing as what you in the past were saying is important (high DR at base ISO), and just the same as just about everything else at high ISO.
It is fine that he likes it of course, I like the output of my 6D too (which has a somewhat higher resolution). Neither can reach the levels of Sony DR at base ISO (like the D750/800 demonstrate).

It just is a good, but only 16mp, sensor... which is fine, but nothing special. And that would do me just fine, of course. But not the rest of the camera, with its weird and contrived interface and the not so nice grip. And senseless deleter of D610 or D4 video ability.
(07-03-2021, 10:50 AM)Brightcolours Wrote:  I have no experience with that camera at all, and just look at the facts compiled by photons to photos-guy. 
  Well, in that case I would suggest taking on board other sports photographers who shot with the D4 in their thousands before banking on your "photons to photons" source ........

....... that way we could get a broader spectrum of opinions ......

....... most of which are very favourable .... even today ....... as you have seen !!