Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HD PENTAX-DA★16-50mmF2.8ED PLM AW announced
https://us.ricoh-imaging.com/product/hd-...ed-plm-aw/
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
Oh, I thought "another case of Pentax' "meet the new lens, same as the old lens"...". But it actually is a new formula!
Yes, still looking similar to the old layout but that's to be expected since not only the lens class, but also the FL/Aperture is presumably the same.
A bit on the expensive side but then again street price may end up being lower.
.... Reviews will no doubt be scarce, but I expect to see one from Ephotozine as they like Pentax and even test older lenses .....

....... I had a copy of the older 16-50mm F2.8* which I bought S/H with a defective AF motor which I had repaired (FOC)  then resold ........ those tiddly SDM motors ?? ........ ....... it was slightly de-centered and frankly the all plastic lens body construction was mediocre with the front tube extending on three thin plastic rails which were subject to wear .... (front element assembly became wobbly)  ......... it also had big issues with chromatic aberrations at the wide end  (Tokina's failing)....... I never thought that lens deserved it's star rating and was beaten out by the much cheaper Tamron 17-50mm F2.8.

....... The new one surely does however, with a fast PLM motor, solid construction etc ............. Pentaxians have been asking for an updated version for years ......... now we will see if the remaining Pentax users will buy it?
(07-18-2021, 12:05 PM)Rover Wrote: Yes, still looking similar to the old layout but that's to be expected since not only the lens class, but also the FL/Aperture is presumably the same.
A bit on the expensive side but then again street price may end up being lower.
Similar?
- different physical dimensions (the new one is longer)
- single vs. dual tube extension
- no distance scale on the new one (due to the PLM)
- focus by wire on the new one (due to the PLM)
- optics completely redesigned
- PLM drive, much much faster
- KAF4

They won't sell me one, though. I decided to put my money in the FF, and I'm waiting for the D FA 21 Limited. This year, supposedly.
Similar, of course. Which doesn't mean identical.
The lens block diagram is also broadly similar, but this is not unexpected because both are a 16-50/2.8 lenses for APS-C, after all. One can't expect it to be designed like an 85/1.8 or a 12-24/4. Hopefully it will be a good lens.
That's exactly why I'd say "similar" is not quite the right word. They're both lenses, they're both of the same focal length and maximum aperture, they're both covering the same format, and they're both made by the same maker thus following a roughly similar styling.
But this goes without saying. "Similar" should be more than that... but, there isn't more.

There are some MTF charts and comparison with the old DA* here:
http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/p...p_da16-50/