Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
An R7 with APS-C sensor to be released?
Canon execs themselves don't know yet if they will launch APS-C RF camera since they are still doing market research... So it's not in the immediate future.for birding a high megapixel sensor even if noisy would do the trick, but it's unlikely Canon would launch such a sensor since they will be roasted by reviewers and the expected low rating it will have, the same pixel density on a cropped sensor is better accepted unfortunately
(07-22-2021, 11:19 PM)toni-a Wrote: Canon execs themselves don't know yet if they will launch APS-C RF camera since they are still doing market research... So it's not in the immediate future.for birding a high megapixel sensor even if noisy would do the trick, but it's unlikely Canon would launch such a sensor since they will be roasted by reviewers and the expected low rating it will have, the same pixel density on a cropped sensor is better accepted unfortunately

How is it you are privy to such inside information about things Canon do not know yet    ........ 

........ is this a "we've seen it here first" moment ??
Canon's current APS-C sensor is the highest resolution sensor on the APS-C market at the moment (32.5MP). Yet it is not "roasted by reviewers" and does not have "low rating".
If you use that pixel density on an FF sensor, you get a 82.5mp sensor.
(07-23-2021, 10:18 AM)Brightcolours Wrote: Canon's current APS-C sensor is the highest resolution sensor on the APS-C market at the moment (32.5MP). Yet it is not "roasted by reviewers" and does not have "low rating".
If you use that pixel density on an FF sensor, you get a 82.5mp sensor.

Exactly ...... cropping from the R6 to APSc will give you around about 8 Mps ....... say you crop to half the APSc ........ 4 Mps ....... if you cropped the same on the 90D you would have a 16 Mps image ....... a huge difference!
    Here is an image from the AF-S 600mm F4E FL VR/ TC 14E III on the D500 (1260mm) ...... this little reed warbler was around 80 mts away ......... 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

cropped, the result was a 1.1 Mp image .......

There is a very sound market for a sports/nature ML APSc body right now ......... no market research required !!
(07-23-2021, 06:58 AM)davidmanze Wrote:
(07-22-2021, 11:19 PM)toni-a Wrote: Canon execs themselves don't know yet if they will launch APS-C RF camera since they are still doing market research... So it's not in the immediate future.for birding a high megapixel sensor even if noisy would do the trick, but it's unlikely Canon would launch such a sensor since they will be roasted by reviewers and the expected low rating it will have, the same pixel density on a cropped sensor is better accepted unfortunately

How is it you are privy to such inside information about things Canon do not know yet    ........ 

........ is this a "we've seen it here first" moment ??
https://petapixel.com/2021/07/21/canon-i...it-report/
On the other hand, people have been photographing birds with FF format for decades, without "cropping". Skill, dedication, time, vs. ease maybe? Yeah, I am not a "birder". But I do understand that different folks have different wants and needs.
(07-24-2021, 07:17 AM)Brightcolours Wrote: On the other hand, people have been photographing birds with FF format for decades, without "cropping". Skill, dedication, time, vs. ease maybe? Yeah, I am not a "birder". But I do understand that different folks have different wants and needs.

Yes, it's such a head scratcher ....... on FF for decades and without cropping ........ baffling really .......

...... but those were the good old days when birds were real birds and stories were real stories......... they don't make them (up) like that anymore ........
(07-24-2021, 07:17 AM)Brightcolours Wrote: On the other hand, people have been photographing birds with FF format for decades, without "cropping". Skill, dedication, time, vs. ease maybe? Yeah, I am not a "birder". But I do understand that different folks have different wants and needs.

A new or better gear doesn't always have to do things the previous couldn't do, it's enough if it makes it easier.
Of course you can shoot birds with manual focus but it's much more convenient and you have by far better chances of getting the better shot with highly performant autofocus
(07-22-2021, 10:38 AM)davidmanze Wrote: One of the reasons for not being inspired by ML is the FF sensor ....... I would like to know how many manage to fill the frame with their bird shots ?? ........ very few I would say .....
 ..... I've recently bought a used TC 14E III tele-converter to use on the AF-S 600 F4E/D500  ..... which gives a FL of 850mm (FF) and 1260mm approx. on APSc. 
...... with that combination I can sometimes fill the frame with modest sized birds at moderate distances ....... 
   aside: the 600mm F4E is not a lens which can get the most out of the TC14E III converter ..... sharpness drops by a full school mark and requires stopping down to F8 where it's sharp enough (very good as opposed to excellent).
 So how close would you need to have anything like a frame filling shot of a modest bird with even a 500mm lens ??    ......... of course I know you would have to get closer than most birds will let you !!

A good APSc MLC with super fast shooting and AF would be what the majority of birders really need ......... instead of cropping away 60% of a 50 Mp FF sensor.
  If I get a D850, I don't foresee it getting a lot of use except for the largest of birds ........

Last comment is, where are the birds this year?? ....... they just haven't turned up in any numbers ......... I've never seen so few ...... worrying actually!!

Dave, you've hit the nail on the head!  Some birders are getting excited by the R5 (I've started to loose interest).  The file size is huge!  Most of the serious birders that I bump into use the Nikon D500, or the EOS 7D Mk II.  The have have the best all around balance of build quality, AF speed, range, and reach. 

I saw Wim's comment about the best bird photo quality he's ever seen.  And it doesn't really surprise me.  The "animal eye" auto focus and tracking are valuable features.  Hard to compete with, for sure.  For instance, if I could justify spending $2,500 so I could shoot birds closer than 20' away, I might do it. 

I got my first look through the R5 with the 100-500mm lens.  To me it was both interesting and anti-climactic.  It was a professional surfing photographer's camera, and he was really, really happy with it.  He had a 1DX Mark III for back-up.  When I see him again I will have some follow questions because later when I thought about it, doubts began to creep in.

I won't try to describe this as though I were a camera reviewer with extensive knowledge, but an obvious question to me was why didn't he get rid of the 1 DX Mk III as his back-up camera and buy the R6, which seems to me to have just as much ability as a camera sitting on the bench would need.  Ah, there I got a chance to see the look on his face that many of you would have had.  The 1 DX Mk III is in a class by itself, I was told!  I was told he could toss it into the ocean, go out and retrieve it, and it would still be as good as new.  Possibly, an exaggeration, but looking down at the scrawny looking R5, I know I wasn't reassured.  Then he said there was a problem that all (most? many? some?) mirrorless cameras in even fairly moderately backlit situations.

On the other hand he mentioned he had sold the two EF zooms that one would normally have.  He seemed to hedge a little on the 100-500 versus the 100-400 Mk. II.

I talked about birds and how the R6 was not enough for me, and he understood right away, even finishing my sentence for me.  What I needed was an APS-C sized sensor in the RF mount.

Yes!  It is so obvious when you shoot wildlife, and telephoto!  I think Canon has been a bit bold, and tried to set itself apart with the RF series.  But there is a big difference between a professional shooter who can live with 45, 50, 63MP sensors, and talk about maybe new 85 and 100 MP sensors coming out, and the actual photography enthusiasts who pay the bills.  The longest lens in the Canon EOS EM mount is the 55-200mm zoom. 

I'd love to see the the figures for how many EF 100-400mm lenses have been sold by Canon over they years.  There is no way to know how many of those lenses went on APS-C sensor cameras, but let's not kid ourselves.  If canon expects to sell many 100-500 lenses I don't think it is going to be to people buying the R5.  There just is never going to be enough of them! 

If they don't put an APS-C sensor in the RF mount I will either continue using he EF lens on crop sensor bodies, or just switch to another camera maker when it comes time to replace my 90D.

-Mac

P.S. - Dave, I just think there is a slow down in birding in the summer. Spring and fall migrations were variously killed by Covid fears and Covid fearless crowds.  I am still trying to adjust to new human migration patterns.  Sometimes on the weekends places are too crowded with out of towners.  I may have to revert to macro photography until things start feeling more normal.
(07-25-2021, 04:59 PM)toni-a Wrote:

A new or better gear doesn't always have to do things the previous couldn't do, it's enough if it makes it easier.
Of course you can shoot birds with manual focus but it's much more convenient and you have by far better chances of getting the better shot with highly performant autofocus

Yeah, photography should not require skill, talent or dedication. Let the gear do the work automated, and let the filters do the creativity! (Sad reality)