Poll: Which not expensive Tele Zoom for Z6
Nikon Z 24-200mm f/4-6.3 VR for $1100 CAD
Nikon AF-P 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6E ED VR for $800 CAD
Tamron 70-210mm F/4 Di VC USD for $630 CAD
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Suggestions needed, not expensive tele zoom for Z6 - only optical performance
Can you please help me choosing telephoto zoom for Z6 (also have D600 but is not really in use):
1. Z 24-200 $1100 CAD
2. Nikkor AF-P 70-300 $800 CAD
3. Tamron 70-210 f4 $630 CAD

for some reason Tamron is 25% cheaper then Nikkor AF-P in Canada.

Consider only optical performance in 70-200 range, nothing else.
(low end is covered with 24-70 and dont need more then 200)

I have Tamron 70-300 VC and been happily using it on D600, but autofocus is not working on Z6 and the model I have, is not upgradable 
(based on https://www.tamron.com/faq/products/checker.html)

Di Lenses SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD (Model A005)
*ONLY MF operation

Thank you very much in advance
The selection of telezooms is obviously still very limited with no native offering for Z mount other than the expensive 70-200/2.8. Still, if your main intention is to get a tele zoom and you don't plan any other use with it, I'd rule out the Z 24-200. I have not handled the lens myself, yet, but super zooms typically do not show their peak performance at the long end.

The Nikkor would be the safe bet in terms of compatibility.

On paper, the Tamron 70-210 VC is an attractive lens, but I can not comment on its quality.

If you liked the 70-300 VC, another option could be to look for the upgraded model, that was sold in Japan only (A030). Unlike the A005 model, the newer lens can be upgraded to be compatible with the FTZ.
Editor
opticallimits.com

Sigma 100-400mm DN in Sony E mount with E-to-Z Adapter?
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1...patibility
?

(I don't know how good this combo is)
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
Last I heard it's possible to also adapt Canon EF lenses to Z. It's mighty irony but in all seriousness, I can't know how good the AF operation is with this combo.
I had a rather ugly experience using adapters and wouldn't recommend it.
If you insist on doing so to have the ultimate glass, Canon 70-200f4 is as good as a lens could be, but again I don't recommend it on Nikon
(09-07-2021, 04:19 PM)toni-a Wrote: I had a rather ugly experience using adapters and wouldn't recommend it.
If you insist on doing so to have the ultimate glass, Canon 70-200f4 is as good as a lens could be, but again I don't recommend it on Nikon

The Canon EF 70-200mm f4 L USM is the nicest rendering lens of its kind. The Nikkor 70-200mm f4 VR is sharper and renders very nicely, nicer than the Canon EF 70-200mm f4 L IS USM. So, that is one to look at.

I have no idea why/how you had a rather ugly experience "using adapters", but my experience is very different. It is fine to adapt AF lenses (EF on EOS M in my case) or MF lenses (on EOS 450D and 6D in my case).
Thank you very much for all the answers and help.
I have two pieces of news Big Grin

This morning I ordered Tamron 70-210 f4, so will report on it when I get it.
Funny thing is today (we are on vacation and going around local nature places in Ontario) I brought my old Tamron 70-300 VC (which autofocus does not work on Z6), just so that I have long(iso) lens. And funny thing is - auto focus DOES work.

Even though that I tested it originally when I got Z6 it did not work.
I remember that I did upgrade Z6 FW, but probably never tried Tamron again - especially because on Tamron site it states MF only Big Grin

So I will have two Tamron tele zooms to compare, and will report you back early next week.
Here's hoping the Tamron 70-210 gets tested here in the Zone sometime. Smile
I hope so myself Wink But for now, I'll be busy working through the huge pile of data I have collected over the past months, actually way more than a year.
Editor
opticallimits.com

(09-08-2021, 07:42 AM)Rover Wrote: Here's hoping the Tamron 70-210 gets tested here in the Zone sometime. Smile

Don't hold your breath, though..  Angry