Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All seems to be quiet on the western front .......
All seems to be quiet on the western front ........ 

So I'll take this opportunity to wish you all a Merry Christmas and a happy new year!! ..... 

....... wishing more than anything that we can beat down this virus which continues to needle us !!

dave's clichés
Thank you Dave. And I wish it to you too.
stoppingdown.net

Sony a6300, Sony a6000, Sony NEX-6, Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS, Sony Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS, Sony FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS, Sigma 150-600mm Æ’/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary, Samyang 12mm Æ’/2, Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A, Meyer Gorlitz Trioplan 100mm Æ’/2.8, Samyang 8mm Æ’/3.5 fish-eye II | Zenit Helios 44-2 58mm Æ’/2 
Plus some legacy Nikkor lenses.
Best wishes for Christmas and the New Year
As for the virus, as a healthcare professional actively involved in it, here are my expectations:
The virus intention is to spread and multiply not to kill his host, only a stupid virus kills its own host, such a virus is doomed unless it has an animal reservoir where it can hide and thrive in animals that don't get sick while harboring it like Ebola.
The expected evolution of COVID is towards a rather harmless highly transmissible virus, Omicron seems to fit here
Omicron loves living in the nasal mucosa much more than the lungs= it rarely kills and transmits better, so basically it is acting like a "contagious vaccine" if Omicron isn't the strain then another strain will just do that
so everyone will end up getting the virus but it will become just a flu, just like what happened with influenza, it is here to stay
But it will become much milder
Expect the upcoming flu shots to include both COVID and influenza in the same injection that will become annual.
There should be more COVID than flu cases in 2022 however COVID will be not worse than a flu, to be confirmed by ongoing studies.
Wishing you a peaceful Christmas time and a hopefully less crazy 2022.

FWIW, after 2 years of zero covid, Australia has finally decided to let Omicron rip. Let's see where this goes. Will get my booster mid Jan.

And yes, there'll be Nikon Z reviews in Jan.
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
Boosters usually cause a strong immune reaction, so expect fever and fatigue for 24+ hours that starts several hours after injection ,=  avoid having plans the next  2 days, however you can calmly test lenses during this period.

Lock down caused some huge damages this is sure, I think the most important is children speech acquisition delay:  I never met a single baby less that 3 years in Qatar who is able to speak correctly while normally a 2 year old baby should be able to adequately express himself for essential things.
My 4 year old daughter and 2 year old son who have been in Lebanon during the lock down period  often ask me "why don't babies here speak ?"
It was a hefty price to pay for saving lives though.
Hello everyone,

I hope you and your families are all well and in good health.
Afterall that's pretty much the only only thing that matters.
I wish you all happy holidays and health and happiness for 2022.

Oh and thanks for the Covid information, Toni. I'm glad you're ok despite the move.

Take care.
Flo
--Florent

Flickr gallery
(12-26-2021, 06:37 AM)toni-a Wrote: Best wishes for Christmas and the New Year
As for the virus, as a healthcare professional actively involved in it, here are my expectations:
The virus intention is to spread and multiply not to kill his host, only a stupid virus kills its own host, such a virus is doomed unless it has an animal reservoir where it can hide and thrive in animals that don't get sick while harboring it like Ebola.
The expected evolution of COVID is towards a rather harmless highly transmissible virus, Omicron seems to fit here
Omicron loves living in the nasal mucosa much more than the lungs= it rarely kills and transmits better, so basically it is acting like a "contagious vaccine" if Omicron isn't the strain then another strain will just do that
so everyone will end up getting the virus but it will become just a flu, just like what happened with influenza, it is here to stay
Expect the upcoming flu shots to include both COVID and influenza in the same injection that will become annual.
There should be more COVID than flu cases in 2022 however COVID will be not worse than a flu, to be confirmed by ongoing studies.

Thanks Toni ...... lets hope your right !! ..... and again for your personal efforts .
(12-26-2021, 08:54 AM)thxbb12 Wrote: Hello everyone,

I hope you and your families are all well and in good health.
Afterall that's pretty much the only only thing that matters.
I wish you all happy holidays and health and happiness for 2022.

Oh and thanks for the Covid information, Toni. I'm glad you're ok despite the move.

Take care.
Flo

Many thanks for your kind words, getting used to luxury life is not that hard  Wink
Qatar is one of the richest countries in the world, with its own lifestyle, there are plenty of positive things here other than what you see in TVs, 
If you are single,  yes it's rather boring, however for family life, it's awesome : plenty of parks (that are not crowded) , all kinds of children and family activities, there are  hundreds of restaurants offering free children playgrounds.  
You won't find a public park with a barbecue area anywhere else 
When you are with wife and kids, you have priority everywhere, police is the kindest and most helpful you could find.
Doha is the safest city in the world, thefts are extremely rare, once I forgot my Sony camera in a crowded park, to be able to retrieve it safely  two hours later....
(12-26-2021, 06:37 AM)toni-a Wrote: Best wishes for Christmas and the New Year

Hi toni,
Virusses are not alive, they just "are there" until they are not. They do not kill either. They just get copied in your cells by your cells, until the host's body recognises them and hunts them down.
The thing with SARS-2 is that it gets undetected in the body for a long time with some people, who then get sick caused by a deficiency of the protein the virus "uses" to enter cells. 
If Omikron causes less damage, that must be because the virus is less capable of going undetected for a long time.

Happy days for you and your family too!
Merry Christmas everyone and happy (upcoming) New Year to you all!