Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nocticron 42.5 1.2 decentered or not?
Greetings, I purchased this lens few days ago, i think i see a softness at the far right side...is it a problem you think or just too picky? Can ask for a replacement no problem.

Hi,

I go by infinity views, ie your second image, it is difficult from the small file sizes here, but I think it does look "a little" softer on the right. What aperture are you using, wide open?  
Dave's clichés
Yeah the aperture is 1.2 and the focus on the second image is on the furthest buildings. A little softer is my guess too.I think on 3rd and 4th picture the bottom right section is a little sharper also. All shots made handheld.Maybe with such a large aperture the smallest user error makes a difference, not sure if I should test any further.

My Nikor 58mm F1.2 is also not that sharp wide open across the frame, it has every fault going including fringing veiling  and a curved field of view....but frankly F1.2 is not really what one would use for landscapes, rather for portraits and shallow DOF.

You could try changing it for another, but it didn't look so bad anyway, best to use it for where it will shine, tender bokeh and nice melting backgrounds!

Dave's clichés
You' re right, will mostly be used in portraits which delivers, also it's really sharp in the whole frame from 2.5-2.8 for landscapes. Just testing for decentering and other flaws, and landscapes wide open is a good way. Kinda nickpicking cause it is an expensive lens but most probably I' m gonna keep it.
Quote:My Nikor 58mm F1.2 is also not that sharp wide open across the frame, it has every fault going including fringing veiling  and a curved field of view....but frankly F1.2 is not really what one would use for landscapes, rather for portraits and shallow DOF.

You could try changing it for another, but it didn't look so bad anyway, best to use it for where it will shine, tender bokeh and nice melting backgrounds!
55mm f1.2? ;-)

If indeed it is a 58mm f1.2, nice investment.
Yes,  it's a 55mm F1.2!

Dave's clichés