Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Next OL lens test report: Sony FE 14mm f/1.8 GM
https://www.opticallimits.com/sonyalphaf...ony14f18gm

Not flawless but nice
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
Thank you, Klaus!
Whew, how did I miss not one, but two reviews. Must've been all that work taking up my time. Smile
The lens looks badass. I know the fugly old Sigma 14/2.8 I have was never tested in the 'zone but I guess the new crop of the 14mm units all run circles around that old (and somewhat darling to me) trainwreck of a lens. Smile
(05-30-2022, 11:41 AM)Rover Wrote: Whew, how did I miss not one, but two reviews. Must've been all that work taking up my time. Smile
The lens looks badass. I know the fugly old Sigma 14/2.8 I have was never tested in the 'zone but I guess the new crop of the 14mm units all run circles around that old (and somewhat darling to me) trainwreck of a lens. Smile

Used to own Sigma 14mm f2.8 it gave me plenty of headaches and spent more time in repairs than in my bag, however on crop sensors it was a great pefmormer on APS-C.
those ultrawides designed for full frame have their weakness at the borders at the center they are excellent (all lenses are better at the center but it's more pronoounced to ultrawides)
so when using the sweet spot of an ultrawide lens on APS-C it shines once in torture test on a high megapixel full frame all the magic disappears
Well this Sigma is pretty iffy even on APS-H. :-) I would not have gotten it if I had stuck to APS-C cameras, of course, because what's the reason to get it when there are dedicated crop ultrawides that go wider, have filter threads, zoom and give better optical quality. :-)
Klaus, how would you compare Sony to Laowa 15mm F2?
Well, look at the charts. :-) The Sony lens is a magnitude better.
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
(05-31-2022, 10:06 AM)Rover Wrote: Well this Sigma is pretty iffy even on APS-H. :-) I would not have gotten it if I had stuck to APS-C cameras, of course, because what's the reason to get it when there are dedicated crop ultrawides that go wider, have filter threads, zoom and give better optical quality. :-)

well that was back in 2004 when you had very few choices... the only crop lenses then were Nikon 17-70 and Canon 18-55
Yeah, I guess Canon 10-22 / Nikon 12-24 introduced shortly thereafter solved the problem (for most people) in one fell swoop.
(06-24-2022, 11:36 AM)Rover Wrote: Yeah, I guess Canon 10-22 / Nikon 12-24 introduced shortly thereafter solved the problem (for most people) in one fell swoop.

Surely had Canon 10-22 existed by then I would have bought it instead