Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Suggestions for a first camera for baby
David  is 2 years old, yet he is passionate about camera and photos, he is using Canon IXUS but he's too young to understand zoom mechanism he just looks and shoots, the shutter button itself is hard to press for him.

I need a tough  lightweight camera that can be safely dropped without any  issues, no much features needed as you expect.
In case he breaks the ixus. I  am considering giving him  my Sony A6000 plus 16mmf2.8 but I prefer something that won't get broken, especially I fear he stops loving photography if he sees his camera broken
What about a GoPro? Or a DJI Osmo Action?

Although I reckon that daddy would also use it ;-)
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
(06-08-2022, 12:50 PM)Klaus Wrote: What about a GoPro? Or a DJI Osmo Action?

Although I reckon that daddy would also use it ;-)

Excellent suggestion, I think I will just do that, just a simple question, is the shutter button easily accessible for a 2 years old hands ?
Well, these action cameras are all tiny.

The problem for a 2y old may be that these are usually operated via touch interface (but there is a "shutter" button I think but better check again). But then again - kids are fast into such things these days I reckon.

The GoPro/DJI are rather "premium" but there are also pretty cheap ones - e.g on Amazon you can get a SJCam or Akaso for a few bucks. A 2y may not require top-quality videos/pictures and if the camera gets lost, it wouldn't hurt so much.

Of course, if daddy wants to play as well ... ;-) The horizon leveling, hyper-smooth IS and timelapse can be super cool. The cheaper ones aren't quite as good in these respects.
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
Just bought Olympus TG5, I was among the first who tried olympus tough and liked it a lot, it had water damage because of a door not tightly closed and I actually bought it again, then bought fuji XP.
Today I got David TG5
it's tiny but feels heavy, practically same weight A6000 without lens, it's rugged and built like a tank.
image quality is what to expect from a compact... but that's okay
Absolutely a a good choice for a small child, toni-a!
Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....
[Image: attachment.php?aid=200]
(04-27-2023, 01:28 PM)wim Wrote: Absolutely a a good choice for a small child, toni-a!

An excellent choice for a small child who has a very supportive daddy who is ready to edit his kid's photos.
Camera JPG isn't great and even at ISO 100 there's some noise, DXO here transformed things, so  basically you have to shoot in RAW 
left is Camera JPG right DXO edited
Also the camera tends to use really low shutter speeds: plenty of motion blur

Attached Files
.jpg   WhatsApp Image 2023-04-28 at 21.15.44.jpg (Size: 200.32 KB / Downloads: 31)
(04-28-2023, 07:35 PM)toni-a Wrote: [Image: attachment.php?aid=200]
(04-27-2023, 01:28 PM)wim Wrote: Absolutely a a good choice for a small child, toni-a!

An excellent choice for a small child who has a very supportive daddy who is ready to edit his kid's photos.
Camera JPG isn't great and even at ISO 100 there's some noise, DXO here transformed things, so  basically you have to shoot in RAW 
Smile

I do not think a 2 year old will really look at IQ in as much detail yet as you would, toni-a. For kids it is more about the memories. Only when they start goign to high school or thereabouts they start considering how to get the maximum out of it, so you still have a few years to go. I do speak from experience, BTW Smile.

Kind regards, WIm
Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....
[attachment=201 Wrote:An excellent choice for a small child who has a very supportive daddy who is ready to edit his kid's photos. pid='56901' dateline='1682722835']Camera JPG isn't great and even at ISO 100 there's some noise, DXO here transformed things, so  basically you have to shoot in RAW 
Smile

I do not think a 2 year old will really look at IQ in as much detail yet as you would, toni-a. For kids it is more about the memories. Only when they start goign to high school or thereabouts they start considering how to get the maximum out of it, so you still have a few years to go. I do speak from experience, BTW Smile.

Kind regards, WIm

You are absolytely right, and he cried when I wanted to  delete a blurry photo he liked.
David is enjoying his camera and he took it with him to the beach, along with his is 5 year old sister they played model and photographer, that was quite funny to watch.

That's David-a a few months ago

[Image: attachment.php?aid=201]

and that's David-a now 

[Image: attachment.php?aid=202]

Attached Files
.jpeg   WhatsApp Image 2022-04-23 at 1.52.41 PM.jpeg (Size: 110.02 KB / Downloads: 21)
.jpg   8297505e-fb19-4ed6-9f79-8ad3683d3c61.jpg (Size: 40.03 KB / Downloads: 24)
Wow, he has grown quite a bit quite fast! En really seems to enjoy taking photographs, nce!

I see something similar happening since I have become a granddad almost 2 years ago. They grow so quickly ....