Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sigma 105mm f/2.8 Macro DG OS HSM:optimum aperture
Quote:... but sharpness suffered.
The fly also doesn't look too healthy  ^_^
Is available sharpness curves for these lens : Sigma 105mm f/2.8 Macro DG OS HSM mounted on nikon full frame?

Quote:I have the Nikon Micro 105/2.8 and I try to avoid apertures closer than f/8. "Then there's not enough DoF!". Yes, right, it never is enough DoF and from f/11 the DoF is paid with lower resolution. But there's a cure against that: Have a look at Helicon Focus stack.

See also http://www.heliconsoft.com/heliconsoft-p...con-focus/ in case you haven't heard about that possibility. Downsides: Not possible for moving (also breathing) creatures or in windy situations outside.
When you use helicon focus for your shots Which aperture do you use with your nikon 105/F 2,8 ? 
Quote:Is available sharpness curves for these lens : Sigma 105mm f/2.8 Macro DG OS HSM mounted on nikon full frame?

Not as curve, but you are in Photozone.de and there is a lens test: http://www.opticallimits.com/nikon_ff/62...ff?start=1

Apparently f/5.6 is - as usual when a lens aperture is two stops closed - the aperture with the highest resolution (not the same as best sharpness, depending on definition of "sharpness")
Quote:When you use helicon focus for your shots Which aperture do you use with your nikon 105/F 2,8 ? 
 As I said, never beyond f/8. Mostly I use f/5.6. f/2.8 could lead to harsh transition between bokeh and sharpness.
Quote:Not as curve, but you are in Photozone.de and there is a lens test: http://www.opticallimits.com/nikon_ff/62...ff?start=1

NOT 150 but 105 ( Sigma 105mm f/2.8 Macro DG OS HSM mounted on nikon full frame )
Sorry, confused numbers. However, it's just the same, and it doesn't matter if this lens is mounted on Nikon, Pentax, Sony, Canon, whatever - 2 stops down on most lenses gives the best resolution. If you doubt that, you can check all PZ tests to show me something else.  Big Grin

Quote:Sorry, confused numbers. However, it's just the same, and it doesn't matter if this lens is mounted on Nikon, Pentax, Sony, Canon, whatever - 2 stops down on most lenses gives the best resolution. If you doubt that, you can check all PZ tests to show me something else.  Big Grin
And that is at MTF testing distances. At closer distances (read: higher magnification), you will find that diffraction softening will worsen, so you can get at a point where closing down 2 stops from wide open will get you softer results.
Eben with dedicated macro lenses? I thought-  but never looked into it - macros are abd choice for landscape photography becasue they are less good at âˆž?

Quote:Eben with dedicated macro lenses? I thought-  but never looked into it - macros are abd choice for landscape photography becasue they are less good at âˆž?
Before IF lenses, macro lenses had the bellows effect. The further you push the lens out (the bigger the magnification), the more impact diffraction will have. With IF lenses, things are a tad less predictable. But your Nikon body will tell you that things indeed still change the closer you get (the higher the magnification) with modern Nikon F-mount lenses (you see the max. aperture number available go down). With Canon for instance, things are not that obvious (the Canon does not adjust the max. available f-stop setting). But of course, the exact same thing happens.

Some macro lenses are less good at infinity, others are just great at infinity also. It depends on the designer. Some non-macro lenses can do great with extension tubes or bellows too, and some others suck when you focus closer.