Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
20/24mm legacy suggestion
After years of laziness I've started selling my old Nikon equipment. I only have doubts about two lenses: the Nikkor 180mm ƒ2/8, that I'm really fond of, and a Nikkor AF 24mm ƒ/2.8, that I've used a couple of times via tilt&shift adapter. T&S is something that I would like really to practice in the next months. So I'm wondering whether it makes sense to keep that lens or to replace it with a typical good legacy lens, but I'm pretty ignorant about legacy wide angles.
Consider that I'd be able to sell the 24mm for 130€.
stoppingdown.net

Sony a6300, Sony a6000, Sony NEX-6, Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS, Sony Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS, Sony FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS, Sigma 150-600mm Æ’/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary, Samyang 12mm Æ’/2, Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A, Meyer Gorlitz Trioplan 100mm Æ’/2.8, Samyang 8mm Æ’/3.5 fish-eye II | Zenit Helios 44-2 58mm Æ’/2 
Plus some legacy Nikkor lenses.
If the 24 mm has an image circle wide enough to be used with a tilt/shift adapter, personally I would keep it, especially considering the money you will be able to get for it, i.e., not worth selling if it does the job, even if only for learning purposes.

As to the 180 mm, that is a great lens, just wondering whether it is up to standards these days with newer lenses for the Z-mount available.

To be very honest, personally I will not likely change some of the older lenses in my arsenal either, be it that they are Canon lenses in my case. I still own 3 TS-Es (17L, 24L II, 135L Macro), and I just love working with those. I actually still want to get the missing ones from the TS-E series to be very honest. With some lenses it is just the way they render, even if they are no longer the sharpest ones on the block with the new stuff coming out for the RF-series. And I don't mind MF with TS-E lenses, as the focusing point is rather important when it comes to composition, especially when using tilt. And since TS requires a deliberate setup, generally speaking, I do not need AF with TS.

For now I will keep therefore, amongst others, my 180L Macro. Its rendering is magical to me. Similarly, I will keep my 135L for quite some time to come, and my 24L II for that matter, and of course my TS-Es Smile.

HTH, kind regards, Wim
Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....
Since you are using crop sensor 24mm will work nicely in tilt shift, for 130EUR I find absolutely no reason to sell it
I have the AF24mm F2.8D and I would say it is one of the better wides in the D series .......  having 9 elements in 9 groups (where many of the other D series are doing it with 6/7 elements) .....     also it will not be subject to lens cement issues as per the AF20mm F2.8D for example ...... it even gets sharp in the corners at F5.6/8 on the FF sensor, where the 20/28/35mm don't.
 I haven't really used mine on the D500 (DX) but looking at the zone's old review on the DX sensor it struggles at the edges/corners ....... whether this would be an issue when using it on a T/S adapter ?? ......
  All in all, you own it, so if it doesn't do the job to your liking it's no huge loss, as you can sell it ....... and of course there is a big difference between recommending keeping a lens and recommending going out and buying one .....
Ok, I'm keeping the 24mm until further decision. In the meantime I've other things to sell.
I'd be pretty curious to see the 180mm compared with newer options, but in the end the reason for which I'm reluctant to sell it is purely emotional: it has been my first tele and I recall a lot of places where I traveled with it. I'm selling also the AF-D 85mm ƒ/1.8, another very good lens, but it's taking the dust and I'm not particularly emotional about it. It's pity to keep a good lens for nothing; I prefer that somebody else enjoys taking photos with it.
stoppingdown.net

Sony a6300, Sony a6000, Sony NEX-6, Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS, Sony Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS, Sony FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS, Sigma 150-600mm Æ’/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary, Samyang 12mm Æ’/2, Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A, Meyer Gorlitz Trioplan 100mm Æ’/2.8, Samyang 8mm Æ’/3.5 fish-eye II | Zenit Helios 44-2 58mm Æ’/2 
Plus some legacy Nikkor lenses.
Good for you!

As to the 180: if I was a Nikonian, I would keep it too. Used to be a darn good lens, with very nice rendering.
Regarding 85 F/1.8 lenses: although a lot of people seem to speak highly of them, with any of the major brands, personally I am not a fan. They all seem to have some flaws, which IMO make rendering not as good as it could be. Of course, I am a little spoilt in this regard, as one of my first L-lenses was an 85L II, which I replaced with an RF 85L a couple of years ago. I do wish there were a few fast 105 mm lenses around, however, which is an FL I prefer. I shot with a Takumar 105 F/2.8 and an SMC Pentac 100 F/4 Macro for quite a few years, and just loved that FL, especially as they are not IF lenses, en keep their proper FL as a result when focusing I don;t care about 'focus breathing', as I do not shoot video).

Anyway, I do hope you keep enjoying your 24 and 180!
Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....
Tamron 85/1.8 is dang near perfect I think... (and Klaus's review is implying the same) Shame that it was discontinued so abruptly but I guess EF mount gear is not long for this world anyway.
It is rapidly rising through the ranks to become the PENULTIMATE lens I'll be selling when throwing the towel in (the last would be, of course, the 16-35).