•  Previous
  • 3(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
confirmed prices for Nikon 19f4 PCE and 70-200f2.8 VR
Come on, Rover:
  • the 19 mm PC was a rumor for longer than one year,
  • the 70-200 is just a bit new wine in old barrels, expensive Made in China glass
  • the 105/1.4 already is beyond the price range of most Nikon owners,
  • the "high-end point&shoot" DL-series are delayed due to thermal problems
  • the action cameras have to convince some GoPro users and the drones are already the next hot shit in town
  • nothing for the 1 series
did I forgot something? The usual problems of new-to-market bodies like Dave's D500? Shiny successful brands do have more convincing items im their portfolio.

Cute is a D5500 Astrology version - but this is not made by Nikon... An italian manufacturer does this alternative to D810A at 2/3 of the price, but with a cooling element to the sensor.

Quote:Nikon finally fixed the big issue the AF-S 70-200mm f2.8 VR II had: the widening of FOV towards MFD.
I would like just one person on the entire planet to demonstrate that this is "a big issue".

It's not like the lens is giving you 135mm fov from a couple of metres to infinity. The so called problem is at minimum focus.

From a couple of meters onwards and with a small amount of cropping, no one is going to notice.

People seem to overlook the fact that the lens is ultra sharp at every focal length and aperture. Focus is super quiet and accurate.

The only thing that some people like to point out is this focus breathing non-issue.

Anyone who actually owns and uses this lens, and is thinking about upgrading because of this "issue" needs to have his head examined.
Quote:I would like just one person on the entire planet to demonstrate that this is "a big issue".

It's not like the lens is giving you 135mm fov from a couple of metres to infinity. The so called problem is at minimum focus.

From a couple of meters onwards and with a small amount of cropping, no one is going to notice.

People seem to overlook the fact that the lens is ultra sharp at every focal length and aperture. Focus is super quiet and accurate.

The only thing that some people like to point out is this focus breathing non-issue.

Anyone who actually owns and uses this lens, and is thinking about upgrading because of this "issue" needs to have his head examined.
The issue is progressive from infinity to MFD. So, set at 200mm, except for infinity, the lens always will have a wider FOV than other lenses. For tele, that always is an issue, small at many meters and bigger closer up.

For me, it would be indeed be a big issue, as I use my 70-200mm almost exclusively at 200mm setting, and most of the time near/at/past MFD.

That the lens is sharp is an entirely different subject, and the lens is not alone in being sharp. Nikkor's 70-200mm f4 VR is a sharp lens. Canon's 70-200mm f4 L IS USM and 70-200mm f2.8 L IS USM II are very sharp lenses. Sony's A mount 70-200mm f2.8 lens is sharp, Sony's FE 70-200mm f4 and 2.8 lenses are sharp. None have the widening FOV issue, all have a narrowing FOV at MFD. So that the outgoing Nikkor is sharp has NOTHING to do with the widening FOV at MFD. The new Nikkor fixes the issue, and apparently it is sharp too.

Anyone not understanding that for others indeed it can be an issue need their head examined. Wink

The problem I have is that to date not one single person on the planet has demonstrated HOW they are effected.

Saying you shoot this or that is meaningless. People need to SHOW where this so called issue is.

So, can you or someone you know of show how this is a "big issue"?
Oh, you bought the 70-200 so that you can use it exclusively at 200mm and at minimum FD?

Either you are joking or the full moon is having an effect on you.
Quote:I would like just one person on the entire planet to demonstrate that this is "a big issue".

Well you did ask!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jva08HY6uLE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrBhel1k...e=youtu.be

and Tony's comments in the first few minutes of the video on the new Nikon 70-200!

BTW I really like these guys!

Quote:Well you did ask!!

<a class="bbc_url" href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jva08HY6uLE">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jva08HY6uLE</a>
I wasted 7 minutes of my precious life watching this.

Please, next time tell me where in a video I need to skip to.

The video is some 25 minutes long. Do you expect me to listen to a guy for this entire period of time who doesn't even know how to pronounce Nikon property in the off chance that he actually has something worth looking at?
Quote:Come on, Rover:
  • the 19 mm PC was a rumor for longer than one year,
  • the 70-200 is just a bit new wine in old barrels, expensive Made in China glass
  • the 105/1.4 already is beyond the price range of most Nikon owners,
  • the "high-end point&shoot" DL-series are delayed due to thermal problems
  • the action cameras have to convince some GoPro users and the drones are already the next hot shit in town
  • nothing for the 1 series
did I forgot something? The usual problems of new-to-market bodies like Dave's D500? Shiny successful brands do have more convincing items im their portfolio.

Cute is a D5500 Astrology version - but this is not made by Nikon... An italian manufacturer does this alternative to D810A at 2/3 of the price, but with a cooling element to the sensor.
Well, a rumor doesn't make a lens - I don't need to tell anyone that not all rumors turn out to be true. Smile I'm not entirely sure of how much the new 70-200 is different from the old one, though - the existing one was already very good (but the new one surely isn't just repackaging as you claim - since it has fluorite elements, there must've been changes to the optics). The 105/1.4 is a one of a kind lens, and a great one any way you slice it. The non-SLR stuff, sorry, I'm not watching it that closely.

I do agree that the prices have gone through the roof...

Quote:The problem I have is that to date not one single person on the planet has demonstrated HOW they are effected.

Saying you shoot this or that is meaningless. People need to SHOW where this so called issue is.

So, can you or someone you know of show how this is a "big issue"?
No one can show "how they are affected" (not effected).

Simply because they either use a lens which does not do it, and can't show what does not affect them, or if they have the lens, they again can't show it, because one can only SHOW it by making A-B comparisons.

Explain what you do not understand about wanting a certain FOV, and not being able to get it with one lens and being able to get it with another lens.
Quote:Oh, you bought the 70-200 so that you can use it exclusively at 200mm and at minimum FD?

Either you are joking or the full moon is having an effect on you.
I bought a 70-200mm to get some tele reach, indeed. Not to shoot 70mm. This is a very common reason. 
What I actually did write above:
"For me, it would be indeed be a big issue, as I use my 70-200mm almost exclusively at 200mm setting, and most of the time near/at/past MFD."

So, yeah, I do use it almost always at 200mm.
And I do use it very often photographing butterflies, flowers, mushrooms, leafs, bees, so close up distances upto MFD and beyond MFD (with an extension tube).

What that has to do with the full moon, I am not sure about. The moon would be at infinity.

FOV does matter, and so does magnification. Both would be severely impacted by a lens with strong widening of FOV towards MFD.

•  Previous
  • 3(current)
  • Next