•  Previous
  • 5(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
confirmed prices for Nikon 19f4 PCE and 70-200f2.8 VR
Quote:I know you are not serious. I think you are just trolling.

No one in their right mind is going to put an extension tube on the 70-200 to shoot at MFD. Next you are probably going to tell me that you have the whole rig on a heavy tripod running around after these critters? Didn't someone tell you that Nikon invented a macro lens decades ago?

I am also certain that you know that there is the 180mm f2.8 which would meet your needs better, if you were actually shooting "exclusively" at 200mm and at MFD.

Affected or effected? You are going to have to do better than this to wind me up.
Actually I did just that yesterday... used my 70-200, although a Canon one, with tubes to shoot a colorful caterpillar I chanced upon when doing a very different kind of shooting. Smile I also donned an extender to boot. Big Grin I don't own a macro lens because I only rarely shoot this stuff and I own too many lenses already! Besides, the tubes are versatile because you can put them on any lens (not all will work but I've had reasonable success shooting electronic components with the 16-35 @35mm plus tubes).

A 180/200 prime cannot fully replace a 70-200 zoom anyway... For one thing, none of them have IS, and Nikon's is an old, screw driven lens.
Quote:Actually I did just that yesterday... used my 70-200, although a Canon one, 

Sure, why not?

I have done it also even though I have 2 macro lenses plus a number of close-up attachments.

Joju rode his bike from Switzerland to Bohinj. Apparently, he is planning to do likewise across Russia. Why not?

But I only do such crazy things when my mind needs such non-sense.

There is nothing wrong (as such) with doing irrational stuff every so often. But when you start to think that it is “normal” you have a problem and you don't even realise it.
Well, riding on other lenses' / camera's weaknesses is also a bit part of this "doing weird stuff" -and we all enjoy it. Or watching Tony's videos when he talks a lot and says not much. Kai is doing the same, but very entertaining and I think, to watch his videos is like waiting to "will he chop this time his hands as well into pieces or is he just buning another magenta coloured camera body?" And I like his accent, I admit. And his clumsiness as special skill for his job...

There are pearls amongst the YouTubers but most of them are just wasting bandwidth.  Big Grin Hell, why not?

Quote:Sure, why not?

I have done it also even though I have 2 macro lenses plus a number of close-up attachments.

Joju rode his bike from Switzerland to Bohinj. Apparently, he is planning to do likewise across Russia. Why not?

But I only do such crazy things when my mind needs such non-sense.

There is nothing wrong (as such) with doing irrational stuff every so often. But when you start to think that it is “normal” you have a problem and you don't even realise it.
But that's the thing... I don't own a macro lens, nor do I think it's a sensible purchase for me - hence the use of extension tubes (I even totalled the most used one, 21mm, in May while shooting insects in Kyrgyzstan). Ditto the extender - it's a compact and economic way of increasing reach when getting a longer lens is impractical, bulky, impossible (as in no lens with such parameters being available at all), or all of the above, which is my case. Smile

By the way if Joachim comes here I'd be happy to meet him. Smile

Quote:Well, riding on other lenses' / camera's weaknesses is also a bit part of this "doing weird stuff" -and we all enjoy it. Or watching Tony's videos when he talks a lot and says not much. Kai is doing the same, but very entertaining and I think, to watch his videos is like waiting to "will he chop this time his hands as well into pieces or is he just buning another magenta coloured camera body?" And I like his accent, I admit. And his clumsiness as special skill for his job...

There are pearls amongst the YouTubers but most of them are just wasting bandwidth.   Big Grin Hell, why not?

I hate "video reviews" with a passion, and dread to think what happens if / when they become ubiquitous. I would much rather read a well written text, picking out the bits that interest me more, at my own pace instead of waiting through the duration of the video, having to practice language comprehension AND wasting bandwidth. Big Grin

I second that.

With a written article, you can select what to read, whenever you want to. A quick glance and you can find the info you're looking for.

With a video, you have to watch the whole damn thing.

Plus it seems that these days most of the video reviews are crap anyway.

--Florent

Flickr gallery
Interesting tidbit in the info about the 19mm f4 PC-E.... It has similar limitations as the existing PC-E's: Movement can be limited by the pentaprism hump. Not sure why this remains an issue for Nikon, Canon has a bigger mount and shorter flange distance and yet no such issues with the TS-E's.

"Models that can be used without any limitation: D5, D4 series, D3 series, D810 Series, D500

Models that can be used with some limitations: Df, D800 series, D750, D610, D600, D300 series, D7200, D7100, D5500, D5300, D5200, D5100, D5000, D3400, D3300, D3200, D3100"

The pentaprism hump is as necessary as a mirror. For Nikon, that is.  Big Grin Especially because most of the time it hostst the little flishyflashy thing, The space for the prism or the mirror on the cheaper bodies is not that big. I think they need that design to give their cameras the appearance of a grumpy, yet thoughtful gorilla. Don't dare to eat banana in front of a Nikon. 

But it still can be adapted to Canon or Sony.  :lol:

Well that is the (a) thing, JoJu. It can't be adapted to Sony and Canon like most other lenses can, because it is a E lens (electronic aperture control). Although it is only a matter of time till for mirrorless smart adapters come along that will allow for at least Sony cameras to control the aperture?

It was meant as a joke, man! Who needs to adapt Nikon lenses, when there are cheaper and equally good, yet shorter FL Canon for exisiting adapters available?

And for that price it better is pretty good wide open.

But even if the hump is blocking the shift vertically upwards: When do you need in landscape orientation ... alright, You do need  Big Grin

The shift goes in both directtions. I don't know how much of the ± 12 mm are blocked. More shift is needed in portrait orientation, I guess. And if I'd really need the full 12 mm perpendicular to landscape orientation, I would turn the camera upside down and shoot tethered.

So another "issue" which needs a lot of bad will to become one in reality.  Tongue
Quote:It was meant as a joke, man! Who needs to adapt Nikon lenses, when there are cheaper and equally good, yet shorter FL Canon for exisiting adapters available?

And for that price it better is pretty good wide open.

But even if the hump is blocking the shift vertically upwards: When do you need in landscape orientation ... alright, You do need  Big Grin

The shift goes in both directtions. I don't know how much of the ± 12 mm are blocked. More shift is needed in portrait orientation, I guess. And if I'd really need the full 12 mm perpendicular to landscape orientation, I would turn the camera upside down and shoot tethered.

So another "issue" which needs a lot of bad will to become one in reality.  Tongue
And you think I did not get that it was a joke? Doh. I found it funny that you can't even adapt it to Canon DSLRs, a joke within the joke.

•  Previous
  • 5(current)
  • Next