Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Laowa 6mm f/2 Zero-D MFT announced
https://www.venuslens.net/product/laowa-...ero-d-mft/
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
Want! Wow, since when is 'auto-aperture' a feature in 3rd party m43 primes? I didn't pay much attention on the constant inflow of all-manual (yeah 'cine') lenses that felt and sometimes looked like shrunken M42x1 lenses from the 70ties. Is it only a couple of months until we will see a 10/4 shift with auto-aperture?
Laowa has a couple of MFT lenses with electronic contacts, I think.

Yongnuo is even offering one with AF. And, of course, Sigma.

I see someone is still showing love for MFT cameras!
I'm struggling with whether it's worth upgrading the MFT test camera.

I still love the system for its compactness but the OM-5 was a letdown and the pricing of Oly cameras is steep for what they are.
Panasonic's last general-purpose camera was released in 2019 and they just discontinued the 200mm f/2.8.

Still, there are currently some incredible deals out there. The G9 is an absolute steal here in Oz for instance - despite its age.

I have to say that DxO Photolab relaxes the noise issue at high ISOs quite a bit making MFT actually more attractive again - if I was "merely" a user rather than a gear reviewer.

Olympus has awesome lenses but cameras like you said expensive. I used Oly for travel and Nikon DSLR for photo trips. A few years back I sold both and switched to Sony. Much easier to live with only one system. I like Oly but can't see myself investing in MFT again, at least for now.
Oly and Pana have their specific niches, to be fair.

Pana MFT is the video king whereas Oly focuses on the outdoors.

However, if you want awesome video support you can as well go for the Pana S5.

I'm not so sure whether Oly's game on toughness can play out. Yes, they are the only ones with an IP53 rating. However, I have never had any issues with cameras during backpacking trips.
And who shoots during a snowstorm or hurricane? Very dusty environments may be a use case where it really matters, I guess. The anti-dust shaker in the Sony A7R V has a higher frequency than Oly's though.

Had to shoot in ice rain yesterday. I was kinda wary that the non-weathersealed adapter might decide to kick the bucket, which would be a disaster for me. Smile But looks like it's fine.
I think a niche that needs to be fullfilled is underwater photography.
There is no "large" sensor underwater camera on the market today.
The Oly though are great but their IQ is crap given the tiny sensor.
The Nikon AW1 was a great idea, but unfortunately Nikon didn't pursue it.
I think if OM systems were to come up with something similar to the Nikon AW1 but with a MFT sensor, they would be very successful as there would be nothing like it.
I'd be the first one to buy one for sure.
--Florent

Flickr gallery
(12-22-2022, 07:30 AM)Klaus Wrote: Oly and Pana have their specific niches, to be fair.

Pana MFT is the video king whereas Oly focuses on the outdoors.

However, if you want awesome video support you can as well go for the Pana S5.

I'm not so sure whether Oly's game on toughness can play out. Yes, they are the only ones with an IP53 rating. However, I have never had any issues with cameras during backpacking trips.
And who shoots during a snowstorm or hurricane? Very dusty environments may be a use case where it really matters, I guess. The anti-dust shaker in the Sony A7R V has a higher frequency than Oly's though.

My most abused camera for a long time Canon Rebel (650? something like that). There was a time where this was my travel camera. Much nicer carrying this around than a 1, smaller and lighter. I think because it was relatively inexpensive, I beat the hell out of it. It went backpacking and around the world. Most of the time it was tossed in a daypack with no padding. I also live in the desert with a lot of wind and dusts. Besides dust on the sensor, never had any issues. I've always thought these weather ratings were kind of overkill. More pertinent to a news crew. Just use a little common sense to keep the camera -mostly- protected. 

After my gear was stolen, I picked up a Pen-F and a few lenses to replace the Rebel for travel. Still love. Can't beat it. No one has ever told me to put it away. You can carry it in one coat pocket and a different lens in the other.  Or my whole setup fits in a Think Tank MM 25i (~28x14xx14 cm) lenses, flash and body plus accessories. Smaller than my GF's purse.

I do agree they're a little pricier than I think they should be. Some models are so big they negate the point of MFT; IMO.