Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Next OL lens test - Tamron 150-500mm f/5-6.7 Di III VC VXD
https://opticallimits.com/sonyalphaff/11...150500f567

Long overdue ... I uploaded the sample gallery in February LOL.

Good lens - but I prefer the Sony FE 200-600mm.
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
Woohoo, moar reviews! :-)
Say... Is it true that this lens is actually f/6.3 until the very last few millimetres? If so, it almost looks like honesty isn't the best policy, as Tamron could've just rounded things up and marketed the lens as f/6.3 like the rest of the gang. :-)
Yes, I just checked - it's f/6.7 at exactly 500mm only.

Thx for the hint, I will add this to the review. :-)

FWIW, I was stunned by the AF speed difference between the A7R II and the mk V. On the mk II, it's slow and hunts a bit but on the mk V the AF is near-instant.
So some things have changed over the years ;-)

I think I will do a couple of vintage lens reviews now.
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
I know the itch now that I own a camera capable of being fitted with almost any lens in existence, given the right adapters.
The fact that I hate manual focusing (and suck at it) stops me from wanting to try any of that, though.

Interesting re: A7RII vs. A7RV difference. Are you going to migrate the reviews to the V in the (immediate) future?

P.S. I think you made a misprint in the added bit about aperture...
(12-29-2022, 07:19 AM)Rover Wrote: Say... Is it true that this lens is actually f/6.3 until the very last few millimetres? If so, it almost looks like honesty isn't the best policy, as Tamron could've just rounded things up and marketed the lens as f/6.3 like the rest of the gang. :-)

Same thought here.
stoppingdown.net

Sony a6300, Sony a6000, Sony NEX-6, Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS, Sony Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS, Sony FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS, Sigma 150-600mm Æ’/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary, Samyang 12mm Æ’/2, Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A, Meyer Gorlitz Trioplan 100mm Æ’/2.8, Samyang 8mm Æ’/3.5 fish-eye II | Zenit Helios 44-2 58mm Æ’/2 
Plus some legacy Nikkor lenses.
Well of course the aperture isn't really stepped like that, but we know how much rounding goes on between all the manufacturers ...

So hats off to Tamron and I swear that this fact does NOT influence my purchasing (or non-purchasing...) decisions. :-)