Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Canon made a major technological breakthrough ....in cmicrochip manufacturing...
https://www.phonearena.com/news/canon-na...y_id151586

While chinese are trying to get their hands on 7nm microchips manufacturing technology and a technology war is soaring. Canon seems to have made a major breakthrough going to 2nm 
Knowing it's a really big business with tens of billions of dollars involved, photography might become a minor business for Canon, OTOH Canon will surely use this technology in making their own chips and possibly sensors.....
Yes, I noticed. Canon has always been producing their own sensors and other chips, but they were lagging behind quite a bit compared to other manufacturers of chips and chip-machines such as Sony and ASML.

It appears as if they decided to skip an entire step in technology, and immediately leapfrog everybody else. Very interesting, I am looking forward t how this pans out.
Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....
(10-16-2023, 11:56 AM)wim Wrote: Yes, I noticed. Canon has always been producing their own sensors and other chips, but they were lagging behind quite a bit compared to other manufacturers of chips and chip-machines such as Sony and ASML.

It appears as if they decided to skip an entire step in technology, and immediately leapfrog everybody else. Very interesting, I am looking forward t how this pans out.

The Microchip and prcerssors  thing is something really really big, Qualcom, Intel, AMD are huge companies way bigger than Canon, entering this arena for Canon as a strong player would be the biggest thing the company has ever done
This has nothing to do with Canon making their own chips. This is about their semiconductor photolithography business. These are types of equipment that the companies Tony names buy to make their IC's. Moreover, Canon has been in this business for a long time. As have Nikon. ASML has just been the leaders, but doesn't sell to Chinese fabs because of the sanctions. The big news here is Chinese fabs might be able to buy the equipment and start competing with Taiwanese companies like TSMC/UMC (the biggest foundries). In fact, a lot of BSI sensors are stacked chips that often than not come from a different wafer fabs.

Like the article says, there's no magic here, I doubt it's better than anything ASML has available.