Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
the end is nigh ...
... for EOS M 

https://www.canonrumors.com/two-more-can...continued/

So no more tele lenses ...
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
Well, was to be expected with the RF 7 etc. bodies and the loss of sales to cell phones with cameras ....
Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....
Huh, even the Samsung NX system seemed to have more pepper in it back in the day than this almost-stillborn enterprise. Go figure.
Believe it or not I might get EOSM, on the used market they are super cheap sometimes bundled with EF adapters.
M50 plus adapter for 250 EUR ? why not.
Of course Canon don't care for the used market though...
(04-19-2023, 04:59 PM)wim Wrote: Well, was to be expected with the RF 7 etc. bodies and the loss of sales to cell phones with cameras ....

It's still questionable business ethics to delay the official discontinuation announcement of the whole system until all existing stock is exhausted.

(04-21-2023, 08:09 AM)Klaus Wrote:
(04-19-2023, 04:59 PM)wim Wrote: Well, was to be expected with the RF 7 etc. bodies and the loss of sales to cell phones with cameras ....

It's still questionable business ethics to delay the official discontinuation announcement of the whole system until all existing stock is exhausted.

Yes, but apart from many businesses doing this, you are making an assumption here. I think the real reason is because it is no longer selling at large enough numbers, which is part of a normal business model. When you make a loss on a product, you stop with it.

Over here, in the Netherlands, according to my contacts, the camera retailers say it just doesn't move at all, for months already.
Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....
Looks like they've finally bitten the dust. It's a pity to see a system go, even if it was a half-hearted attempt like the EF-M (a whopping 8 lenses if I'm not mistaken...) and it kinda was a question of "when", not "if". Let's just hope Canon does port the few worthwhile lenses (read: the primes) to RF-S, although I'm not holding my breath since Canon might, in their infinite wisdom, decide that RF-S should be kept at rock bottom level lest anyone decides to stay with it and not upgrade to FF eventually...

https://www.dpreview.com/news/1138973177...f-m-system

Call me a madman but I would lament the passing of Samsung's NX system more. That one was really interesting (and I own a Samsung camera to this day, even if it doesn't get a whole lot of mileage now).
Samsung had quite some noise generators back then, and their color science was way off, as far as I remember

They had the right concept I suppose, but their marketing was terrible.
Besides NX, they were so mad to introduce NX mini - a one-shot wonder with just 3 lenses and a support life span of 1 year.

They didn't even have the balls to make an announcement about the discontinuation of the system.

Well but it's still a shame to see the system kick the bucket, and the lenses orphaned. The EF-M system looked moribund almost from the start but it still had nice primed, all 3 of them (pity the 28 and the 32 never got tested, and now never will).
Well, the design of the EF-M 18-150mm lives on in RF-S ;-)