Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Suggestion for landscape prime in the range 35mm < x ≤ 70mm, Sony APS-C
Since you state you already have a 35, a 50, be it manual, and a 70-200, why bother looking for a lens between 35 and 70 mm, especially as it is meant for landscapes?

Basically, you are covered in steps of 1.4 linear from 35 to 70 as it stands, and as a mostly prime shooter myself I would not see the need for an additional lens in that range in that case.

There are only two lenses I would personally consider, if you really want to buy another lens, as you do seem to feel an urge to do so. One option would be to buy an AF 50 mm of good quality, which means you would be covered for spontaneous work as well in that range, or alternatively, a much wider lens.

A 24 mm would give you another 1.4x step, downwards, although personally I would go for a much wider option, 20 mm or even lower. I am not aware of current prices but Samyang does offer good, well constructed lenses in the 14 mm range, which is something I would likely get. I find that UWA lenses are great for landscapes with a different viewpoint: get up close, with an interesting foreground object, and let the rest of the landscape fall away nicely with a wide view of it. Works for me.

So, in short, either get a 50 mm AF for the faster moving subjects, or if the Nikon suffices, a WA, like a 24 mm, or even an UWA, 20 mm or less, if you feel brave enough.

HTH, kind regards, WIm
Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....

Messages In This Thread
RE: Suggestion for landscape prime in the range 35mm < x ≤ 70mm, Sony APS-C - by wim - 06-13-2023, 04:49 PM