Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
next OL lens test - Viltrox AF 16mm f/1.8 FE
Wow ...
https://www.opticallimits.com/sonyalphaf...ltrox16f18
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
I was reading... and reading... and waiting... and waiting for a gotcha. And walked away unsatisfied. Smile
Well, when it comes out in Z mount, I'll probably bite the bullet. Time to start selling off some of the EF-mount exotics I have anyway. Smile
Klaus, thank you for reviewing this lens so soon after release. It looked promising but I didn't expect OL Highly Recommend badge.
I was also pleasantly surprised.

Can we now say that Viltrox is actually in the big leagues of the 3rd parties, right after Sigma, Tamron and Samyang? (while Tokina has fallen by the wayside)
I think they are in the Samyang league now, yes.

The question mark is probably service quality if something happens after a few years. But then, the service quality of the OEMs is often very questionable as well unless we are talking about pro gear. I suppose that a strong dealership is a good idea - if something like this still exists today. Unfortunately, many dealerships have deteriorated to fire-and-forget sales these days.

Regarding the Viltrox - it'll also be available in Z mount soon. It's not the first time in Z-mount, either. Their 85mm f/1.8 is also available in Canon R-mount. Quite interesting ...

I've reread the review, and then the one from PhilipReeve.net... damn, maybe one day I'll buy it, though that'd be betraying my faithful 16-35/4. Smile
I also noted that they praised the Laowa 9mm f/5.6 lens. Maybe someday, too, because my Sigma 14mm looks really bad on FF anyway; no surprise there.
(07-08-2023, 08:50 AM)Rover Wrote: I've reread the review, and then the one from PhilipReeve.net... damn, maybe one day I'll buy it, though that'd be betraying my faithful 16-35/4. Smile
I also noted that they praised the Laowa 9mm f/5.6 lens. Maybe someday, too, because my Sigma 14mm looks really bad on FF anyway; no surprise there.

Frankly, if you don't do astrophotography 16-35 \f4IS should easily fulfill all your needs....
I like to have fast stuff for night shooting (but not astrophotography), that's why I have the 24 / 45 / 85. Smile
Quite a steal for what would normally be an exotic lens with all the bells and whistles ...... remarkable!