Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OMG... I'm hooked again!
 Yes swinging in the breeze by the lips as usual!

What's it this time? 

Well it's that paltry D7100 buffer of just 6 frames at 5 FPS, pretty damned hopeless. I spent the week out shooting and by the time I got home, I'd managed to convince myself by some convoluted thought process, that the D500 was my baby, and by selling all the rest of my Pentax gear and the D7100, I could pay for it and still have a few shillings for some beers.

Caveat:   How to open D500 RAW files in CS6 ( as I can't even "breathe" without CS6), when only PS creative cloud has the RAW converter? ( or LR and renting either is out of the question)

I found the answer, you use DXO Optics Pro 11 to convert the Nikon NEF files into a standard DNG and that will open in Adobe's RAW converters just as if it was a NEF file, it works.. the two can also work together, back "and" forth. I bet Adobe are not happy about that!

Grey market D500s are currently available for 1550 euros, all in all I can't wait!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/124690178@N08/

Live now pay later!

Update from one of the forums, Adobe do a free converter...downloading now..
The D500 seems to be quite awesome in terms of speed ... if you really need that.

Frame rate, AF speed and frame coverage as well as the mini joystick for moving the AF point makes it far more practical than the D7100 which has it's drawbacks (buffer/banding) even when it was released, which is a pity as it's AF is still up there.

The two marvel APSc cameras at the moment seem to be Fuji X-T2 and the D500 standing head and shoulders above the other new releases, for sport the D500 has it because of the lenses, but general AF is close to being neck and neck, which shows how hard Fuji have been working to push forward ML technology, very impressive!

Anyway the D500 should be here in a few days. 

Good, it has inbuilt automatic AFMA test and calibration.

:lol:

You'll need that  Wink But as you said, in terms of lenses the Nikon wins hands-down. And the lens you already have is impossible to beat with the 100-400.

Quote:Good, it has inbuilt automatic AFMA test and calibration.

:lol:

You'll need that  Wink But as you said, in terms of lenses the Nikon wins hands-down. And the lens you already have is impossible to beat with the 100-400.

I forgot about that feature JoJu, you've made my early morning cup of tea taste just that bit sweeter!  Yes the D750 needs -2 AFMA with the Nikor 500mm, where the D7100 needs -8.??? Strange business PDAF, once set I've found it dead on though. 

The D500 is an excellent machine, I'm sure. I just wanted to tease you a bit and hoped you'd take it that way you did. It has much more to offer than just this feature. Okay, it's not up to 14 fps or faster shutter speeds than 1/8000 (but the faster ones at X-T2 are not to freeze action better, they're just to leave an ND8 filter at home), but instead of that you will not be able fill up the buffer with JPGs - it will just be your vulture mitraillette until battery is empty of SD card full, whatever comes first.

I think you made the best decision.

Quote:  I forgot about that feature JoJu, you've made my early morning cup of tea taste just that bit sweeter!  Yes the D750 needs -2 AFMA with the Nikor 500mm, where the D7100 needs -8.??? Strange business PDAF, once set I've found it dead on though. 
The cameras use different AF sensors. To which light they are sensitive, the steps the AF logic makes, AF point configuration, it all makes a difference. So, not that strange that the cameras show a different number of undisclosed actual meaning.
Quote: 

The two marvel APSc cameras at the moment seem to be Fuji X-T2 and the D500 standing head and shoulders above the other new releases,

What happened to the Sony A6300? 
Quote:What happened to the Sony A6300? 
 It's running around looking for a headphone socket for itself !!!     Big Grin  :o  Smile  :wub:   touché!

Seriously though, it's a great camera, marred maybe slightly by it's 4K overheating and it's battery life?

Quote: It's running around looking for a headphone socket for itself !!!     Big Grin  :o  Smile  :wub:   touché!

Seriously though, it's a great camera, marred maybe slightly by it's 4K overheating and it's battery life?

4K overheating? Does it count as a problem? It is a camera for stills with some video functionality not a camera for videos.