Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Next OL lens test - Samyang AF 12mm f/2 E
https://www.opticallimits.com/sony-alpha...-sony11f18

Good but not overly special
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
I have the manual version. Yes, a good lens without highs or lows, but a good value for price.
stoppingdown.net

Sony a6300, Sony a6000, Sony NEX-6, Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS, Sony Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS, Sony FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS, Sigma 150-600mm Æ’/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary, Samyang 12mm Æ’/2, Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A, Meyer Gorlitz Trioplan 100mm Æ’/2.8, Samyang 8mm Æ’/3.5 fish-eye II | Zenit Helios 44-2 58mm Æ’/2 
Plus some legacy Nikkor lenses.
I expected much worse TBH... thought there has to be a gotcha somewhere. Well, there's the uncorrected vignetting but the distortion is okay for the focal length and so the correction doesn't degrade the corners all that much. Maybe its origin with a MF lens isn't a downside after all.
Thanks for the review, Klaus.
I recently purchased it in X mount to replace my Fuji 14. However, I was a bit underwhelmed by its IQ, especially in the borders and corders. My Fuji 14mm is much better it this respect.
Also, I noticed that sometimes the whole image is very slightly blurry for not apparent reason. Not sure if it's an AF issue, I guess it could be but it's something I haven't encountered with the Fuji 14.
Anyway, dues to these issues I decided to sell it and keep the Fuji 14.

One remark about the review. You wrote: "The lens is a more obvious choice in X-mount because Fujifilm doesn't offer anything between the XF 8mm f/3.5 and XF 14mm f/2.8.". In Fuji land, as you mention for Sony E-mount, you can also buy the Viltrox 13 1.4 and the Zeiss Touit 12 f2.8.
--Florent

Flickr gallery
Yeah, I know what you mean regarding the occasional blur. I wonder whether this relates to the image stabilizer when used with wide-angle lenses (e.g. because the focal length isn't precisely communicated).

By the way Lenstip has just reviewed the Fuji 8/3.5. Of course it's software corrected for the D and V, but, in their test, pretty good for the big R. :-)
The technical quality of their sample images isn't all that hot near the borders/corners, though - and that's at 26mp.