Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Earth rotation limiting stabilisation to 6.5 f stops
A gyroscope will work against any movement, so also earth's rotation. The gyro sensors will pick up on this and want to compensate for that movement, which should not be compensated for.
At first it was another idea for a stupid sentence of me, but I rethought: Some drones have a very very precise positioninig system. Anybody aware of how they would do at long time exposures? Their rotors are already sort of gyroscopes, the cameras sit on elastic mounted platforms: if there's no or not much wind and no additional shutter/mirror slap that might be all what's needed - and watching the sample pictures at the 12-100 Oly zoom, it can't be worse to do it with a drone  B)

And moving the drone to the correct height would save the perspective correction, too, but this was now stupid again  ^_^

The drones have amazing stabilization (at least the one I was using - or rather, partook in using). I mean, when shooting, it is suspended high up in the air, where the minute movements are unavoidable - and wind gusts too - but it returned 100% sharp shots at the exposures of 1/25 seconds. A remarkable amount of detail as well - that drone's 12 megapixels were miles above the mush that my supposedly 12 megapixel smartphone camera is returning, and way better than any "digicam" I've ever used - it looked more like SLR quality. To top it all of, we were shooting at dusk. It's a pity I would suck at piloting - I can totally see why the drone photography is all the rage now.

The first idea of using aerial gear came to my mind when I read about "kite photography". But it was too dangerous and risky for the equipment, so I passed over. Drones are tempting... 

stoppingdown.net

Sony a6300, Sony a6000, Sony NEX-6, Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS, Sony Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS, Sony FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS, Sigma 150-600mm Æ’/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary, Samyang 12mm Æ’/2, Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A, Meyer Gorlitz Trioplan 100mm Æ’/2.8, Samyang 8mm Æ’/3.5 fish-eye II | Zenit Helios 44-2 58mm Æ’/2 
Plus some legacy Nikkor lenses.
I found this comparison between Phantom 4 and Mavic amazing; https://youtu.be/0YJ8WhQzaSM such a tiny device...