Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
your suggestions for an fx body plus ultrawide
A friend of mine using Nikon has stopped shooting for merely ten years, after inadvertently deleting 80% of his photos on server.

His curent gear:

Nikon D2H

Plus Nikon lenses 24-70f2.8 70-200f2.8VR 50f1.4, 85f1.4, 105mm f2.8 macro

I motivated him to go back shooting, but since he's not really enthusiast (yet) he's not ready for a big budget.

Tried to convince him with D500, he wants fx

What body should I suggest to him ?

He aldo needs an ultrawide, I suggested Sigma 14f1.8 ART do you think 14-24f2.8 makes more sense
   Well a FF camera body and those suggested lenses aren't going to be cheap, but I wrote a thread on the D600 that I found for 499 euros in one of those "We buy for  Cash" shops. 

If there is a little more money available,  S/H D750 are now finally dropping in price as well as D800 and D810.....in fact there is no shortage of S/H Nikon bodies.

Note! both the D600 and the D750 may be subject to shutter recalls by Nikon, the D600 for it's oil on the sensor problem sprayed from the shutter.(replaced by the D610)....and the D750 shutter  recall for non returning mirror........(check the serial numbers on the Nikon site)

This means Nikon will replace the shutter and service the camera free (inc. postage) if it hasn't been already replaced to "anybody" regardless of whether it was purchased used, so this can be a good bartering point when buying. 

Actually there has never been a better time to buy a S/H Nikon DSLR, for a few years they got bogged down at 12 Mps, stating it was sufficient.......and then the 36 Mps D800 arrived!  ....this opened the way for 24 and more 36 Mps bodies which are now plentiful on the used market. 

The D3/D3s and D700 were the 12Mps models and as such in spite of their tremendous build, you have to be happy with lower resolution.

If your friend last shot with the D2H, I'm sure he will be delighted with the D800..D810..D600..D610..D750

....my choice: the D750 for it's tilting screen, fast frame rate (6.5 fps) excellent AF and IQ and low noise, moderate file sizes,  plus it's a light body.

If the shutter issues put you off then the... D810, 36 Mps, pro magnesium body...1/8000 sec. it's one of their most proven and legendary cameras.

As for lenses, he already has some nice glass.....no, some very nice glass!..... Once he has the camera  he will be in a far better position to try out lenses and decide what is missing for his needs....

......it's all too easy to suggest spending other peoples money on exotic glass!

One day you should try to get some friends able to ask for themselves...  ^_^

I would not suggest to go for a body with predictable and expectable repair actions - as long as it's away in service, he can't use it.

Why not first looking for a good UWA? 2nd hand 14-24/2.8, or an Irix 15/2.4 blackstone or (cheaper, but optically equal) firefly - I just don't know it's availablility.

If he's hooked again, he still can go for another body. Best bang for the buck is D750. The chap D800s floating the market sometimes have high shutter counts - doesn't mean the shutter breaks anytime soon, but the rest of the camera was also in these places where the shutter count grew.

The D750 has a different operation concept than D2H - if he wants to stick with what he's used to, it has to be a D700, D8...0.

Since 2011-2012 he stopped shooting as I said after accidentally deleting all his photos.

To motivate him, we went shooting on friday, he didn't like my 5D, but he enjoyed using my 7D mkii

would D750 be good for him ? sorry but I am not into Nikon system
  It sounds like the guy needs to try various cameras somehow!

Of course the D750 is a great camera........check out the reviews........but if he didn't like the 5D, it's clear that preference will play a role..

it's your man pulling the purse strings..

...so ultimately it's he who gets to choose!

He prefered the autofocus performance and responsiveness of 7D mkii v 5D classic, is D750 as slow and poorly featured as 5D classic?
   3 years ago it was cutting edge........and it's still very fast today!

Toni, as stated D750 was cutting edge 3 years ago and it still is a pretty quick camera today. Your 5D Classic was sluggish 12 years ago, when it was released!

D750 is a better all arounder FF body than anything Canon ever made in digital.

Edit: 6dm2 is a serious competitor though. Disregarding that it's also more expensive and came out 3 years later. Still is not a clear winner over D750, mind you. Why 6dm2 and not 5dm3? Sorry, can't reply while I'm using the tilt screen to shoot from anything but eye level.

Edit: While ergonomically 6dm2 would compete with a D750, image quality from the Canon sensor would still be behind the 3 year old Nikon with the 5 year old Sony sensor.

Quote:Toni, as stated D750 was cutting edge 3 years ago and it still is a pretty quick camera today. Your 5D Classic was sluggish 12 years ago, when it was released!

D750 is a better all arounder FF body than anything Canon ever made in digital.

Edit: 6dm2 is a serious competitor though. Disregarding that it's also more expensive and came out 3 years later. Still is not a clear winner over D750, mind you. Why 6dm2 and not 5dm3? Sorry, can't reply while I'm using the tilt screen to shoot from anything but eye level.

Edit: While ergonomically 6dm2 would compete with a D750, image quality from the Canon sensor would still be behind the 3 year old Nikon with the 5 year old Sony sensor.
Thanks I suggested D750 to him yesterday, with all Nikon gear he has and being a Nikon fanatic, it's out of question he moves elsewhere.

I would have prefered he gets D500 plus tokina 10-20f2.8 that way he is completely well set with less than 2000$ he seems more likely to go full frame.
D750 is much cheaper.