Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nobody is making bad cameras, you're just a bad photographer
I went through a third of the rant and Lightroom advertisment. Just avoid vomiting about sentences like "But I'm going to tell you the complete God's truth..."

I'm not religious but blasphemic shit remains shit. Even if he points out if you have no idea you can have as much gear as you want and will remain a bad photographer. Well, he certainly is after half a year at Magnum a "good" photographer... half a year, ha, I would feel ashamed to count this as recommendation. We just got rid of a manager after 3 years who now "faces new challenges" what he should have done after 3 months and this dude needs a list of stuff he did the last five years to give his rant sort of basis.

Anyway, the gear doesn't matter much, if it's the best for me. And I am limited by not enough ideas or energy to bring them to life, simply because I have a different job to earn money. However, there are things like bad cameras and bad lenses and sucking accessories - pros just don't buy them in first place, but if, then they sell it to amateurs  Big Grin

If Roger from lensrentals thunders out a rant it's at least entertaining and thoughtful - that one from the phoblographer was just plain frustration. Understandable after facing some die-hard trolls, but the question comes up, why facing them instead of enjoying being a good photographer?

Quote:Well allow me to disagree.

This the typical talk I hear from professionals earning money from photography that consider amateurs as competitors.

Photography is for everyone not for professionals only, it's up to the viewer to decide if he likes what he sees or not.

It's like saying only professional and highly competitive players should be playing football.

I had some intentionally crooked horizons with no added value to the photo by some art/media students in mind when I wrote it. Big Grin

Professional photographers just make money out of this, a lot of them are actually worse than advanced amateurs just like a lot of professional musicians, routine has a lot to do with it. 
 My view is there are a lot of great images out there on the various photo sites, especially Flickr!

Images are like fine wines often maturing with time, especially where cars and folk's style of dress play a large part, there's something endearing about the past that can flatter early photographers, the passage of time will do the same to ours no doubt!
Quote:I think the average quality of photographers is in constant decline for at least a century. Big Grin Lots of masters and hundreds of milllions of wanabees. 

I think you are right. But that has also to do with the fact that we are constantly in a hurry. That it's often more import to show all the many places you have been instead of showing the beauty of fewer places. That the one thing you care about is to photograph something as best as you can and that you are willing to wait hours, maybe days to take the perfect shot.

And there is so much distraction,telephones, news, 24/7, Ipad, etc. It seems because of it and because of the pace of life nowadays that in general people care less about beauty.

That is the majority. But thankfully there are still people left who go against the grain.I can name a few naturephotographers which inspire me a lot: Joe Cornish, Ken Duncan, Simon Phillpotts, Adam Burton, Bas Meelker and Bart Heirweg and many others.

So, all is not lost!

Kind regards,

Reinier

Quote:I think you are right. But that has also to do with the fact that we are constantly in a hurry. That it's often more import to show all the many places you have been instead of showing the beauty of fewer places. 

Absolutely true.
stoppingdown.net

Sony a6300, Sony a6000, Sony NEX-6, Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS, Sony Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS, Sony FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS, Sigma 150-600mm Æ’/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary, Samyang 12mm Æ’/2, Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A, Meyer Gorlitz Trioplan 100mm Æ’/2.8, Samyang 8mm Æ’/3.5 fish-eye II | Zenit Helios 44-2 58mm Æ’/2 
Plus some legacy Nikkor lenses.
By the way, the thread title sounds like the title of a song Seth Putnam might've made... it sounds similar to one of his "songs" called "Your kid committed suicide because you suck".  :ph34r: