Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Seems Canon has opened RFs mount for third party
It doesn't seem like a coincidence as Sigma and Tamron announced on the same day several RF mount lenses all APS-C...
Seems Canon will open APS-C mount and license only few full frame lenses
I'm glad to have been proven wrong on this count. Big Grin
The 23rd is always a lucky day for me. Not that I'm going to jump to Canon RF (from EF/Z) over these pieces of news, but I'm sure Canon will be glad to hear that I dislike them a little less, starting today. Big Grin
Basically, they outsourced APS-C to third-party vendors because they couldn't be bothered to support it properly...
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
Canon current management has only one target: income, although they are doing well from the income side, that's a dangerous approach on the long term.
Their sales come from a wide fan base and loyal customers which is their most valuable asset, with their recent actions they risk of losing it, and they have nobody to blame but themselves
(04-23-2024, 11:18 AM)Klaus Wrote: Basically, they outsourced APS-C to third-party vendors because they couldn't be bothered to support it properly...

That's one way of putting it, although it's kind of unobvious from the "earnings" standpoint. After all, if I had come to own these lenses, I would not have been moving anywhere after that. The lenses are as good as it gets within the (sub-)system.

Of course a telezoom is missing still, and a macro lens (or a few) as well. But I don't think Sigma or Tamron have APS-C telezooms out for any mount at present.
(04-23-2024, 01:23 PM)Rover Wrote:
(04-23-2024, 11:18 AM)Klaus Wrote: Basically, they outsourced APS-C to third-party vendors because they couldn't be bothered to support it properly...

That's one way of putting it, although it's kind of unobvious from the "earnings" standpoint. After all, if I had come to own these lenses, I would not have been moving anywhere after that. The lenses are as good as it gets within the (sub-)system.

Of course a telezoom is missing still, and a macro lens (or a few) as well. But I don't think Sigma or Tamron have APS-C telezooms out for any mount at present.

Most of the guys I talk to,  tend to buy full frame tele lenses because they are "future proof " in case they move full frame later on. and they work pretty  well on APS-C
Yeah but Sigma has no APS-C telezooms for mirrorless. And if their FF lenses will not be brought to RF, this leaves a gap. Meanwhile, Canon only has the woeful 55-210/5-7.1 for RF-S.
BTW I agree about your assessment that "Canon current management has only one target: income", although this is more or less the goal for any commercial enterprise anyway.