• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Forums > Back > Samyang: new lenses where the optical elements are interchangeable
Samyang has introduced a lens where you can changing the inner optical elements (for different focals) without changing the barrrel.

https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/samyang-just-announced-the-worlds-first-optical-exchange-af-lens/

Please explain me the sense of this because I don't get it.  Smile Yes, of course you save space. But is it so important in this context, given that the barrel is very thin and light? I mean, this is clearly at the expense of sealing and dust-proof.
stoppingdown.net

Sony a6300, Sony a6000, Sony NEX-6, Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS, Sony Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS, Sony FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS, Sigma 150-600mm Æ’/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary, Samyang 12mm Æ’/2, Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A, Meyer Gorlitz Trioplan 100mm Æ’/2.8, Samyang 8mm Æ’/3.5 fish-eye II | Zenit Helios 44-2 58mm Æ’/2 
Plus some legacy Nikkor lenses.
So basically, this is a secondary mount.

How do you store the modules?

Cute idea, but not sure how practical it is.
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
looks really good as an idea... but let's see how good it is, awaiting Klaus review.
BTW the lenses are all f3.5 as maximal aperture but marketed as f2.8 !!!
To me, this seems analogous to the old Pentax SLRs and some Nikon's too, with the focusing motor built into the body. Except instead of the Focus motor being in the body, it's in a barrel and you interchange lenses by inserting them inside the barrel.

Curious to see how it will be sold. As a complete kit? Or individual pieces? What will you pay most for, the barrel or the lenses? I'm sure regardless of actual manufacturing costs some actuary is figuring out the best way to optimize profits.
One would suppose that each lens capsule is a unit (unsealed)..... lens body unsealed ......... and that they focus as one group together .......
....... I can already see people in on all fours carefully parting grass and dirt to find where this lens group actually landed when trying to change it in the field ...... way too fiddly .....

.... all in all way too impractical .......
(08-22-2024, 03:08 PM)Klaus Wrote: So basically, this is a secondary mount.

How do you store the modules?

Cute idea, but not sure how practical it is.

If each module can be removed, you’ll need a convenient and organized storage solution, like labeled containers or magnetic strips. This helps keep the modules secure and easy to access when needed.
Pancakes where you choose the filling yourself. Sounds cool but a little impractical. Guess if I were to buy this one, I would just get the 21mm and call it a day.