• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Forums > Back > New Rollie AF film camera .. what reviews say.
Hi guys,
            ........ as someone who owned the base model, the B35 with the Triotar three element lens (cheap model) and loved it's size, cuteness and out and out portability of the camera as well as the images that it produced .....
  .. this has got me following the announcement of the "new AF version" which from launch images show that it more than resembles it's  legacy models (that Rollie produced over the years) .... 
  So how is it? 
 Well it's a mixed bag ..... firstly it's bigger ...... secondly, how's the build quality? .... cause anyone following up on a Rollie product has a hard act to follow, Rollie's build quality is top notch, even on those tiny cameras ...

...... So how is it? 

Well, it's a mixture of metal and some plastic, with semi dummy front dials .... but it does not match the the build quality of the legacy models, ...
..... removing the camera base to load film .... which is fiddly to say the least, requires several tries at the base/body alignment, then retries before it finally sort of clicks into place ..... the wind on seemed to struggle, feeling stiff and rough with one reviewer stating it didn't feel confidence inspiring long term .....  reviewers seemed reluctant to criticize directly but there were some furrowed brows and unanswered niggling questions ..... 

good things were said about the AF being accurate and the F2.8 35mm   lens has good resolution ... but the shooter has no way of knowing what exposure is used when taking the picture, shutter speed or aperture ..... strange.

So all in all apart from AF (which I never really found focusing an issue with the B35's 40mm lens) and a built in flash/delay timer,  what have you gained ?.... If you take the 35S model, it is quite a bit smaller with it's retractable Tessar lens, the build quality is on a another level altogether and time has shown that these original Rollies really did stand the test of time. 
 Which would you buy the new Rollie AF, the Pentax 17 half frame in portrait mode or the above ........ I'd buy the 35S .... it really is a beautiful tiny camera .... for life or nearly !
I was quite excited when I noticed it a few days back—until I realised that it was a film camera.

Ref.: https://rollei35af.com/pages/camera
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji