• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
new Olympus lenses officially announced
Canon 28-300L:

1670g

92mm x 184mm

Tamron 28-300:

560g
74.4mm x 
<span style="color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;background-color:rgb(244,247,248);">96mm </span>

But I'm sure you will tell us that there's no reason for the difference, right ?
Quote:Canon 28-300L:

1670g

92mm x 184mm

Tamron 28-300:

560g
74.4mm x 
<span style="color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;background-color:rgb(244,247,248);">96mm </span>

But I'm sure you will tell us that there's no reason for the difference, right ?
What is your problem in this discussion? You brought up that Canon L lens... Not me.

I find that Canon L lens to be too high priced and too heavy, not a fan of that. Does not mean I should not point out that it does not really make for a good comparison to this 12-100mm f4 from Olympus! You wrote a whole article about equivalence not too long ago, so that at least should be apparent.

For the Canon L compared to the Tamron and Nikon one could make the case that the Tamron has too small elements, making it vignet rather heavy, and that the Canon's optics perform quite a bit better. 

You made the same performance argument about the Fuji vs. the Oly, above.

But both the Canon 18-150mm and Oly 12-100mm seem to perform quite well, judging from their manufacturer's MTFs. I still don't get why they are not to be compared.
Quote:The very high price in combination to the very small aperture. That is a shame.

Price and aperture are not the only parameters in the equation right? I guess the point is some people appreciate the values of other parameters
Quote:Price and aperture are not the only parameters in the equation right? I guess the point is some people appreciate the values of other parameters
Yes, like I pointed out, the Olympus is weather sealed. And it goes a bit wider, where the Canon goes a bit more narrow and the Fuji does neither.

Quote:Yes, like I pointed out, the Olympus is weather sealed. And it goes a bit wider, where the Canon goes a bit more narrow and the Fuji does neither.
6.5 stop IS perhaps? Starts from 24 equiv. Perhaps? Super fast and accurate S-AF perhaps?

And why, people pay same amount of money for an ipad, while the can have much more computing power if they buy a simple laptop?
Well, good thing is Olympus's price does come down quite a bit after some time. 45 1.8 can be had for free quite often with promotion. Second hand price for mint 12-40 2.8 is typically around 550 USD in my region…so all hope is not lost for this new 12-100
Quote:6.5 stop IS perhaps? Starts from 24 equiv. Perhaps? Super fast and accurate S-AF perhaps?
No, the lens does not have 6.45 stops IS as far as I know. That is a perk of the Olympus camera body. 

About 24mm, what do you think "And it goes a bit wider" means?

How fast the AF is totally will depend on the camera body. I thought we were talking about a lens, and that to me $1300 seems steep for what is a FF equivalent f8 zoom.
Quote:No, the lens does not have 6.45 stops IS as far as I know. That is a perk of the Olympus camera body.

About 24mm, what do you think "And it goes a bit wider" means?

How fast the AF is totally will depend on the camera body. I thought we were talking about a lens, and that to me $1300 seems steep for what is a FF equivalent f8 zoom.
No lens exists in vacuum, the pleasure of using such a lens of course has be assessed in conjunction with the camera.

The lens, combined with the certain camera, does provide a 6.5 stop IS, and too bad no other combinations you mentioned has this. Same goes to AF, same goes to the weight and range.

(Btw, I'm not entirely convinced how fast the AF is will totally be dependent on body)

I agree price is high. But I object the notion that price should mainly be determined by equivalency.

Anw, generally speaking, the value of any object is always a very subjective topic. So it is very common to see different views. Olympus will eventually know if they have succeeded in creating enough value for enough people.
BC vs everyone: round 4

Let me grab some popcorn and seat comfortably for the fight  Tongue

GO!

--Florent

Flickr gallery
[Image: party39x18.gif]