Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sigma 85mm f/1.4 Art coming ...
Quote:Liking the 0 grams of weight of the 85mm f1.4, for sure! Still puzzling on the zoom ratio of 1:8.5, though.

The 12-24mm f4 should give the Canon 11-24mm some competition, for quite a bit less.

Anyone have an idea what they mean with Nikon (D)? 

Still puzzling on the zoom ratios...
Since it looked like a Google translate job, the 1:8.5 is probably the max. magnification instead.

Nikon (D) means that the lens is sending distance information to the camera (useful for flash work). It's been a standard for the last decade or so, but the first generation of Nikon AF lenses did not have that (same story later occurred with Minolta, who even used the same letter to signify the distance encoding-capable lenses. Check out the Nikon FF section to see that most old lenses have this letter after their names. Example: http://www.opticallimits.com/nikon_ff/61...rafd2028ff
Thanks, Rover.

After seeing this sample picture on DPReview, my purse cramped like a mussel: DSC07028.jpeg

No. Simply not the kind of lens I was hoping for. Magenta tinted highlights I already get decent ones from the Nikkor 85/1.4 G  Huh

Strong LoCA indeed.

Sometimes I wonder, waht of this magenta colours is really a lens flaw and what is an overdriven sensor, meaning unwanted exchange of light and elctrical charges from pixel to pixel, when there are very contratsy and slightly blurred borders involved. Will now read Lensrental's findings.

It might be a combination of both in this shot. But there is definitely quite some LoCAs involved, you can see it on the sidewalk in the background (shifting to green CAs behinde the focus point).

Still curious why the Otus is the only APO 85mm lens out there... can't bee that hard.

-- Markus
Editor
opticallimits.com

With CCD you could have such issues (apparently), but with CMOS you do not get neighbouring pixels influencing eachother.

Lenstip found LoCA exisiting but nothing to carp of. In their samples (of ghosting and flare) I didn't see so much of magenta borders although the sources for that phenomenon were clearly present.

I really don't know what to believe. The pictures at DPReview for my taste have too much magenta in it - but then, 100% of the 42 MP sensor still shows less CA than I am used to for the 85/1.4G

Lensrentals didn't check MTF now. On this side and on distortion/vignetting I consider myself as more tolerant than against LoCA. Depending how much highlights are involved I can see the magenta tint aready before I enlarge the picture.

Plus, some of Lensrentals sample pictures - mainly the beauty shots - show a quite impressive sharpness while others in lowlight conditions are much less impressive. So, if it comes to lowlight and I have to bite high ISO and / or slow shutterspeeds while aperture is already wide open, what will be left of all the nice resolution numbers?

And more provocative: While the performance of the Sigma might be super or excellent in studio conditions with low ISO and fast flash, will the pictures of the Tamron with switched on VC be much worse - or maybe even better?

Pity, there's no decent rental supplier in Switzerland.  Sad

Quote:It might be a combination of both in this shot. But there is definitely quite some LoCAs involved, you can see it on the sidewalk in the background (shifting to green CAs behinde the focus point).

Still curious why the Otus is the only APO 85mm lens out there... can't bee that hard.

-- Markus
The Zeiss Milvus 85mm f1.4 does not have bad LoCA problems either?
Depending, who you ask. I think that Milvus was more or less the Planar 85/1.4 in a new case - and the Planar had LoCA issues. but then I read a sentence like

Quote:Photos presented below show it clearly that the longitudinal chromatic aberration of the Milvus 1.4/85 is negligible already at the maximum relative aperture. It is a very similar performance to that of the much more expensive Otus.

Source: http://www.lenstip.com/464.5-Lens_review...ation.html

Lenstip puts the Milvus close to the Otus. But those fast manual focus lenses are nothing for me unless I can focus them in LiveView with no mirror related delay. And with a decent EVF.