Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yongnuo 14mm f/2.8
https://photorumors.com/2017/12/21/new-y...more-93983

It doesn't seem to be a clone of the Canon 14mm this time.
Maybe it's a copy of the 14mm first version. Makes sense from the chronological perspective - that lens is from 1991 so the patent has probably just expired recently.

If so, I believe it would be the first time they copied a Canon L lens, although admittedly not the best one by far.
No, it is not a copy of the EF 14mm f2.8 L USM, nor the Nikkor AF 14mm f2.8.

From the outside it does look like a Canon lens. Could it be their own design ?? In that case they are on the right track, I need an ultrawide prime this one could be very interesting
Quote:No, it is not a copy of the EF 14mm f2.8 L USM, nor the Nikkor AF 14mm f2.8.
Hmm, I see now (was a little difficult to look up stuff from the Canon Museum using a cellphone). Maybe one day this thing will land in the testing lab. Smile

Cosmetically though it's blatantly similar to the first version Canon lens.
12 elements it seems. Haven't found a legacy 14mm with 12 elements so far.

Well, if it's any good it can take the place of the old Sigma and Tamron 14mm f/2.8 lenses that both have been discontinued for at least a decade. Of course there's the Samyang but not everybody wants to go stone age...

APS-C seems forgotten, I would be more intrested in the same lens more compact and cheaper designed for APS-C why pay for the whole frame when you will just use the center.

I think it would make more sense for yongnuo to target entry level market rather than fight in the already highly competitive full frame world, if big names like Tokina are struggling I don't see how could they make a breakthrough.

in Canon world a fast ultrawide crop sensor prime is lacking they can do just that.

Yougnuo lenses have a long way to go before they convince me......still I suppose you have to start somewhere.....maybe with a more complex design they can start putting things to rights,  but....would I buy one?

No! .... So far they haven't impressed optically or mechanically.....

and where the hell do you send them in the case of problems?    ...into the Asian void?

Quote:    Yougnuo lenses have a long way to go before they convince me......still I suppose you have to start somewhere.....maybe with a more complex design they can start putting things to rights,  but....would I buy one?

No! .... So far they haven't impressed optically or mechanically.....

and where the hell do you send them in the case of problems?    ...into the Asian void?

You're absolutely right, didn't think of that, my yongnuo flash worked fine for a year, then now  the tiny reflector and diffuser are loose, the flash is practically only usable as direct flash, try to find repairs: no spare parts available...so for a tiny problem, it can't be repaired